12.8kg Tailor

This beast came out on the market floor today.

Even Harry, the market fish guru, said it was probably the biggest one he had ever seen come through.  Caught by a professional out of Denmark.

12.8kg or 28.2lb weighed on certified scales is one hell of a big tailor.  Didn't get the length, but for comparison the plastic lug is 650mm long.

Update - The fish was 1.05m and a capture photo is below.

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 22/08/12

Monster tailor but will it be good eating?

Fri, 2021-08-06 15:59

My son got one off kalbarri at first light one morning that measured 87cm.  I bled it, kept on ice and filleted it a couple hours after being caught. kept fillets in fridge put them on barbie that afternoon - tasteless, wished we never kept it, it was a waste of an awesome fish and i have always said if i ever catch a big one i will release it

Mick C's picture

Date Joined: 26/12/13

The fish got a third of the

Fri, 2021-08-06 16:35

The fish got a third of the price per kilo that the smaller tailor get.  Most of the fishmongers weren't interested because of the eating quality.  It was a net caught fish by a professional that was sent to market.   

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

Date Joined: 28/05/15

20 years ago commercial

Sat, 2021-08-07 08:24

20 years ago commercial fishing on a wetliner we got a 95cm tailor. There's big horses out there.

Livewire's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/16

Holy ......! Great whites

Sat, 2021-08-07 10:22

Holy ......! Great whites look out. Could you imagine that thing grabbing a lure. Bucket list fish me.

uncle's picture

Date Joined: 10/02/07

Caught a 90 cm big boy

Sat, 2021-08-07 16:13

in 16 meters off mindarie a couple of years ago, no where that size though, tasted ok

all aggressive fish love bigjohnsjigs

Date Joined: 18/04/08

Huge Tailor

Sat, 2021-08-07 19:14

Check out this vid @ 4:38, biggest I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQzbffrctA

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

Bloody big fish. Subscribed

Sun, 2021-08-08 12:08

Bloody big fish. Subscribed to that bloke but...wow wee! I thought Brodie was full on.

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I've caught a few really big

Sat, 2021-08-07 19:42

I've caught a few really big ones floating mulies from the back of the boat at abrolhos when I was a kid. Never measured but they would of been well into the 90cm range. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Chinbald's picture

Date Joined: 21/02/09

Interesting weight vs Lengh.

Sun, 2021-08-08 19:26

That fish was on a good feed of easy to get bait fish similar to the massive impound Barra in Qld. Ive been fortunate to spend hours casting poppers off the reef/ beach at False Entrance in the late 80's as a teenager through to late 90"s and caught a number of 90cm to 100cm fish in the 5.5- 6kg range, one extra big fish that was realeased was measured at 1.2m estimated around 8 kg. This was prior to publication of the location in Western Angler magazine which resulted in a decline of extra big fish in the area. It was also in November to January so having a camera was rare as we walked the beach from camp and the southerly winds were normally 25+  knots at 7am and picked up in the afternoon to desert storm conditions. The windier the better for big fish. Also interesting was that we rarely caught the big fish on bait or chrome Halcos metals.
Certified scales never lie so great to have a accurate weight and length of the 12.8 kg fish from Denmark. Never seen a fish even close to that weight in Australia.