Yamaha ECU failure @ 307hours

Well as I reported earlier my 225 Yamaha experienced a total ECU failure despite being fully e capsulated and showing no external signs of  corrosion or damage.  Yamaha's response to the issue was less tha  lukewarm, to quote, they are normally reliable ......they might indeed be but with only 307 hours surely this is highly indicative of a latent defect ....a one off maybe but a defect all the same.  Add to the issue is the fact that you cannot replace the ECU without replacing all of the existing gauges as the new ECU is incompatible....doubling the cost of repairs.  Sorry Yamaha but your "Legendary Reliability " has been tarnished.

On the one plus side, a huge shout out to site sponsor  Chivers Marine for a brilliant repair job......I couldn't be  happier with the work they did covering the holes left in the dash when installing the new single gauge....see the photos below

Image Upload: 

Livewire's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/16

Not good. Glad that chivers

Wed, 2024-01-24 12:40

Not good. Glad that chivers could help but with only 307hrs you would think manufacturers would be interested in sorting it. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

There will be a huge reality

Wed, 2024-01-24 12:50

There will be a huge reality check for a lot of businesses when the next crash happens, no goodwill or even honest feedback  forthcoming in my experience lately, it will bite them on the foot. 

Love the West!

sunshine's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/09

I couldn’t believe their couldn’t care less response

Wed, 2024-01-24 16:26

Our controls are reliable ......well seriously mine was clearly the exception to the rule.   I have always lauded Yamaha for their previously exceptional reliability and amazing fuel economy and accept that in any manufacturing process a faulty product can slip through....clearly it did in my case but I would expect them to do or offer something.   No comment whatsoever on the absence of compatible spare parts requiring way way more expensive repairs (read almost double the cost).

I have responded to them....let's see their response because they advertise their Legendary Reliability on face ache so there are heaps of opportunities to provide less than glowing feedback ....I might just copy their response and see what other potential customers think of their so called customer service 

Date Joined: 28/10/17

Businesses are at mercy of

Thu, 2024-01-25 09:35

Businesses are at mercy of the manafacturers. They can't do anything about it they dont make the call on warranty, yet they will suffer while manafacturers will keep making their money.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

I understand that and went

Thu, 2024-01-25 10:56

I understand that and went through a lot of pain after Covid re supply of materials, it's as Gordon says the couldn't give a rat's attitude is what gets me. I'm very understanding if things are put up front and explained politely. 

It's the same with a few restaurants I've been to that are supposed to be higher end and are just crap, one particular Italian restaurant on Mends st South Perth that served me overcooked gluggy pasta 

When I gave feedback to the owner he proceeded to give me a lecture on how pasta is served and eaten, no contrition. I'm half ding and know how pasta is done, he was just an arse. 

It's that kind of attitude where they just don't deserve the business. 

Love the West!

Date Joined: 18/01/12

How old was it, in terms of

Wed, 2024-01-24 14:28

How old was it, in terms of MY?
As I'm sure you already know but Consumer Law follows very similar principles as Insurance, and probably a great rule of thumb is to ignore their first response as its designed to weed out the easy ones.

And carry on as though they hadn't responded just like a first offer from insurance.

If it was inside say 3-5yrs old with zero visible damage that should easily be within "expected normal lifespan of the item given the quality extolled by the manufacturer and cost".

Yamaha is widely promoted as a premium brand.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

sunshine's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/09

Rob, it’s older than that but with few hours

Wed, 2024-01-24 15:07

Regularly serviced as per Yamaha's 100 hr requirement with an authorised yammy dealer. The controller looks like new. As I said it is completely encapsulated preventing any external contamination but also preventing any analysis of failure cause.  I haven't given up quite yet.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Roger, sorry I got the

Wed, 2024-01-24 15:30

Roger, sorry I got the impression it was already done and dusted.

Dealing with outboard manufacturers certainly is challenging (like insurance haha) as they know its a luxury item I guess and have gotten into the frame of mind that you're lucky they let you have one.

A good resource to see if there is a recurring issue, is The Hull Truth

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Good luck mate, I know you'll

Thu, 2024-01-25 06:47

Good luck mate, I know you'll give em curry at the very least

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

Not good at all. At least

Fri, 2024-01-26 07:45

Not good at all. At least your back on the water slaying the fish .

Hopefully good karma comes your way after the help you have done for others over the time.

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together