simrad BSM-3 TM265

I have done all the searching online and the hull truth. Just wanted to see if anyone here is using this set up and have any positives. Most of the stuff online relates to the issues of the BSM-2. I have the chance to hook this gear up to my nss9 at a resonable price and run along side the furuno 585. Is it worth the outlay or will the furuno still be better. Mostly for depths 100mtrs to 350mtrs. Cheers

Date Joined: 23/11/14

bsm3

Sat, 2016-02-06 12:44

The bsm3 is the same internally as the bsm2 only difference is the internal wire connections and external cosmetics navico are still tinkering with the software which is still in beta format ie still under development after all these years. The bsm 3 or 2 works better with some transducers, the real dud is the airmar 265 lh which I have it never worked properly with this config, very disappointing one fishwrecked user was so upset he got navico to refund his purchase he had the big moma transducer the air mar r599 on which he had the worst results, go to the hull truth site to read the long history of problems even with the latest updates. My mate went Furuno and has never looked back. Look for posts by septimus on this forum.

bsm3

Sat, 2016-02-06 12:49

I forgot to get the info on what transducers work look for posts by ABBOR on the Hull Truth he is Navicos acolite or staff rep ON THE Hull TRUTH. For me I am a Furuno man . Note the pro fishermen tend to use Furuno.

bouttime's picture

Date Joined: 27/07/06

Thanks for the reply. I have

Sat, 2016-02-06 14:33

Thanks for the reply. I have looked through most of the comments on the hull truth and they say the latest software upgrades seem to have fixed the issues with the bsm3 and 1kw transducers. They are now performing as they should. Just want to hear from anyone here that has this setup and what results they are getting over here. I have looked at upgrading to the furuno 295 but not a cheap excercise. I already have the 585 and 1kw ready to go in just wanted to hear if the simrad is better or worse. My last 587 and 1kw worked fine up to about 400mtrs but would like to get a bit deaper if i can for deeper drops

simrad

Sat, 2016-02-06 14:47

Stay with your 585, if you want to upgrade go for the furuno 588, friends of mine are getting simular results to chirp with the rez boost feature on the 588 at a fraction of the cost you can still use your old transducer and get as good as chirp. I have the simrad nse12 screen and the bsm2 with airmar tm265 chirp ,the furuno unit is better by far.The build quality of furuno and spare parts availability far outlast the 3 to 5 year anticipated life of a navico product. Navico want you to keep buying new gear. Furuno still backs products it made 20 years ago.

bouttime's picture

Squalis have you tried the

Sat, 2016-02-06 15:28

Squalis have you tried the 265 with the furuno. Curious if its worth doing hen upgrade the 585 when furuno bring out chirp. I have heard good results guys using the 295 and 265 combo. Cheers

bsm3

Sat, 2016-02-06 17:52

Hi the 265 lh works perfectly with the fcv 295, never tried it with the 588 or earlier model I don't think they will work ,check with taylor marine ,the 295 is tunable per individual frequency channel and hence can be set up, furuno have chirp via an external model the dff1 uhd but you need a separate multi function unit like the tz or tz2, the latest tz2 has an inbuilt chirp module I think check with taylor marine. Go the 588 with your current 1kw transducer you will not be disappointed for a fraction of the cost.

bouttime's picture

Thanks mate thats what i am

Sat, 2016-02-06 20:17

Thanks mate thats what i am thinking. I know the new simrad sonar is coming out shortly but again not many people having great results with the deep water stuff with Simrad. Might just stick with the furuno for now.

bouttime's picture

Thanks mate thats what i am

Sat, 2016-02-06 20:18

Thanks mate thats what i am thinking. I know the new simrad sonar is coming out shortly but again not many people having great results with the deep water stuff with Simrad. Might just stick with the furuno for now.