Dirk Hartog Trip December 2017

Leaving Perth at 0400 5 of us in two 4WD’s headed up the brand hwy with our first stop the 440 roadhouse for a fuel up and breakfast. Then it was on to the Overlander roadhouse for a fuel top up and an early lunch before heading in towards Steep Point. The trip in wasn’t too bad, some corrugations but overall not too bad. The sand hills were negotiated with ease by the Triton and Landcrusier and we arrived at Blackies beach to wait for the Barge. We dad arrived in good time so had an hour or so to wait so killed the time downing a cold one and having a swim in the crystal clear water. Then it was onto the barge for the quick trip over to the island and the 40 minute run up to the homestead and our accommodation in the Ocean Villa. This would be our base for the next 5 nights. It was perfect for our needs, verandah to sit under and talk bullshit and have a quiet beer or two, hot shower and comfortable bed.
You couldn’t have asked for better weather for our time there, Mid 30’s light winds and low swells. The plan had always been to fish the West coast which we were able to do on all 4 days. We were mainly targeting demersals as the winds were onshore most of the time. Had 4 awesome sessions with many Baldies, Pinkies, Spangos along with a smattering of trevally, shark mackerel and kingies caught. I will let the photos do the talking.
A big shout out to Kirren for his hospitality and his son Will for the amazing photos and video he took on our last day. None of us wanted to spend time on the camera as we all wanted to fish so thanks.
Already planning another trip up there next year, camping this time as all the families want to experience the island. I guess that will mean I will get to explore the island more and finally make it up the cape inscription after not managing it on account of too much fishing my last 2 times there.
Finally a big cheers to Mick, Dan, Reece and Ben for making it such a great trip.
Here is a link to the Video of our last days fishing, hope it works as I'm not that tech savvy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmlm3uley17wnfk/fishing.mp4?dl=0

More photos to follow as have too many for one post.
Cheers Brad

I would rather be fishing

Image Upload: 

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

sounds like a great trip

Tue, 2017-12-26 15:37

sounds like a great trip away. some nice fish there . bauldies like blowies by the looks

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Date Joined: 08/06/15

What a magnificent spot.

Tue, 2017-12-26 21:17

What a magnificent spot. Thanks for sharing mate

shorething's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/11

Haha baldy central! Thanks

Wed, 2017-12-27 09:40

Haha baldy central! Thanks for the report! Did you fish the same spot each day or move around? Looks like it produced very well either way. Baldy is so good on the chew 

Date Joined: 29/03/13

Quality pics

Wed, 2017-12-27 10:56

And fish makes me wanna go back ASAP 

Down the Line

Catch the Experience 

Anytime Brad's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

DHI

Sat, 2017-12-30 09:13

Only fished a couple of different spots over the four days as one of the spots you can only fish in the most ideal conditions which we jagged. Lost as many baldys as we got, they go heard and bury you in the rocks easily. Since Baldy is my favourite I was very happy. Very happy with the pictures, had Kirren's son Will come out with us to take photos, he has done an amazing job.

Caza's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/11

looks awesome mate im

Thu, 2019-05-09 16:53

looks awesome mate im heading up there in august what is the spot in the last few pics?

My names mark and i'm addicted to fishing

Anytime Brad's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

PM sent

Fri, 2019-05-10 16:30

Message sent