Anyone on here with an S2009?

Interestested in these, look like good value for money in that I can initially go with my existing HST-DFSBL ( equivilant to a P66, roughly) and then go up in transducer spec if I so desire. 

Jackalchub's picture

Date Joined: 10/03/12

Yeah mate, I've got one with

Sun, 2017-06-11 10:16

Yeah mate, I've got one with a B175M thru hull.. personally I like it so far, it's not as basic as furuno (I had a 627 before and loved it).. but really sharp with bottom definition. Pm if you have more q's or I can send you some screen shots 

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

Thanks

Sun, 2017-06-11 10:51

I've been looking at them on THT, lots of screenshots there. Very sharp looking picture. From enquiries I have made on other forums, I can start with my existing transducer, then any further upgrades WRT to the depth I need to fish  will only need to be done with a better transducer. Do you deep drop? By all means post up some screen shots if it's not too much trouble.

Jackalchub's picture

The plan is to deep drop

Sun, 2017-06-11 12:14

The plan is to deep drop once I get myself sorted out. I've had one trip out wide into 250m and had bottom no worries. I've seen pics of the 1kw chirp picking up bottom in 500+

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

There was one on THT @2037m!

Sun, 2017-06-11 14:48

Not a great picture, but still seemed to be marking fish.. I don't think there would be any issues at our deep dropping depths. I'd have the opportunity each year when I camp at Ningaloo, the very deep water is very close there. The bloke who camps just up the beach from me goes out and catches Rubies , the ones he gets past the sharks, that is...

How do you find the controls? i've been reading the manual, seem pretty straightforward with those hotbuttons down the side of the screen and a knob. The Lowrance non-touch screen controls are driving me spare, having to constantly change pages just to get the menu I want, hence the desire to just keep the -7 as a plotter.

Jackalchub's picture

Yeah I had a Lowrance before

Sun, 2017-06-11 18:37

Yeah I had a Lowrance before furuno and didn't like having to constantly go into menus.. once you get used to thenm the hot keys are pretty useful. I have been running on auto +2 as a base for gain with good results.. still learning at the moment, tvg (time variable gain) is another thing worth looking into when going wider. All this plus screen view (split, zoom, bottom lock).. is accessible via the hot keys

Jackalchub's picture

I kept my hds7 as a plotter

Sun, 2017-06-11 18:39

I kept my hds7 as a plotter with structure scan. The speed of zoom is starting to bother me.. will prob get another simrad.. potentially touch soon. Like an iPhone.. have used a mates and it is pretty nice