Tuesday 22/5/07..

Went out with a mate today as the weather looked like it was gonna be great. Bit breezy early on, which was uncomfortable at anchor. Burleyed up inshore,we got some nice skippy on baits and softies, along with a nice blackarse. Headed a bit further out for not much.. Fished a by a marker and saw an abudance of baby sambos swimming below, nailed two on softies before they buggered off and they herring came in.

Headed out deeper near rotto as the wind had dropped, found some ground(gps wasnt working ) and began to soak some baits. Nailed about 4 undersize pinks, a few more size black arse, massive bluespot flatty and the usual reef fish. No dhu's or kgs unfortunately.

After losing one of my outfits overboard thanks to some freak swell whilest driving,i used my lighter outfit and jigged up 1 or 2 bakers and then got hit by what i think was a small tunny/decent bonito which i dropped just by the boat. Using raider 40g rigged with Gamakatsu G-stingers, worked a treat!

On way back in saw some bait schools getting harrased for a good half hour , trolled and casted at them tirelessly for zilch.

Overall numbers wise we had a ball, fish werent that big but good fun on the light gear. Looks like ill be shopping for a new combo now :p

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Tuesday

Wed, 2007-05-23 08:28

Nice report Shizza. Here's ours from Exmouth.

We headed out at 11am as there was a strong south easterly blowing in the order of 20 knots which was predicted to drop out to 6 knots north east during the afternoon. After getting out behind the reef at Tantabiddi we realised that it wasn't going to happen for some time. Out came the lure bags and a spread of Richters hit the water. After about 15 minutes we got our first zing which peeled off line like no tomorrow. After about 15 seconds he took to the air, a dolphinfish of about 6-7kg and returned to take more line. Then came the second jump a few seconds later and then the typical dolly hook throw. :(

About another 20 minutes went past and we had another hookup which lasted about 20 seconds, Lee went to tighten the drag but went one notch too hard which caused the hooks to pull. Us 0 - 2 fish.

We then got to our bottom bouncing spot in 100m, very hard to hold the bottom at first with the 20 knot wind. Soon as it started dropping out about 2pm things started to heat up. We ended up with 2 Robinson Sea Bream, 3 Pearl Perch, 1 Pigfish, 1 Scarlet Bigeye, 3 Sharptooth Jobfish, 3 Sweetlip Emperor and 3 Honeycomb cod and a fair few throwbacks.

Was a good day to be on the water even though very windy for a while. We still managed to get some nice table fish and gave the billies a shot for a couple of hours with the satisfaction of a coupla hookups.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Craggles's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/07

I was out yesterday also.

Wed, 2007-05-23 18:34

I was out yesterday also.

We went to the fads but the two we visited were gone unfortunately.

Hit the bottom at about 90m first. Got some nice Red snapper, a big baldy, bout 6kg queenie, few black arse, 1 sized pinkie and a few sweep that wouldnt release.

No dhuie's though :( Still a dhuie virgin lol

Lotsa fun though

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Reds

Wed, 2007-05-23 21:50

Coupla very good sized reds there Craggles. Can certainly see that you would have been busy with the knives.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Craggles's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/07

lol yer, the red should come

Wed, 2007-05-23 21:56

lol yer, the red should come with warning tags, hands covered in little cuts from the bloody scales :P

deepwater's picture

Date Joined: 09/05/07

Reds

Sun, 2007-05-27 08:03

great eating but the hardest bit is getting them from the box to the table,they love to cut up every thing they touch well bone, i have lots of experance with those red buggers