TM260 assist

Hey guys,

Recently scored a TM260 airmar transducer and have been reading a fair bit online about them and have a fair idea of what I want to do but wouldn't mind a bit of real world confirmation of what works and what doesn't. 

I've got a 6.7m Ali boat, am keen to try a bit of deep drop when the occasion allows but will be doing the bulk of my fishing in bunbury 25-35m. Have ready access to south coast so will definitely be taking advantage of TM's capabilities. 

My current set up is two lowrance hds screens with the standard 12degree 200hz, 600w trannie as well as structure sidescan LSS2. This has been alright so far but haven't had enough flat water days to really put the sidescan through its paces since it's been installed.

So I am running out of space for transducers of the back and am just wondering;

Does the narrow cone angle of TM260 200hz need back up in shallow water (sub 40m) or do people run dual freq with the 50hz to increase coverage under the boat?

Is the sidescan LSS2 worth perservering with, I have seen it give good indication of bottom structure but does 1kw 50hz trump this due to better all round weather use?

Is it worth getting mounting bracket extension fabricated and keeping all three? This option is really only worth doing if all three can be networked through both HDS units and structure scan module. Not sure if this is possible and would appreciate anybody else's thoughts or past experience.

Thanks in advance for any info, can't wait to try the new (2nd hand) 1kw but am keen to not lose current results. Pictures to follow

Image Upload: 

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

Benny, were those screen

Fri, 2017-09-01 10:10

Benny, were those screen shot taken at the same moment?

The bottom lock feature is the same as I have with Simrad and doesn't appear that useful other thgan changing the number graph around.

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

bennym_82's picture

Date Joined: 18/05/16

Screenshots

Fri, 2017-09-01 11:27

Lowrance bottomlock certainly isn't as good as some of their competitors that's for sure. Photos are of different soundings, one's a rock we did alright on last Tuesday while the sidescan is a bow to stern crossover of the Lena. Took a while to get the readings dialed in for results like this. Pretty sure the TM260 can do better in shallow water it's just the narrow cone angle I'm worried about. 3.3m coverage in 30m of water isn't looking at much. 

crano's picture

Date Joined: 04/11/09

Trannies

Fri, 2017-09-01 17:36

In 25 to 35m I would not be that interested in the LSS2 unless they are a lot better than the LSS1 [had one and sold it].

The TM260 has a 19 degree cone on 50 Hz  and you can run 50 and 200 at the same time.

I have an HDS10 gen 1 and I have never had much joy with the 50 Hz but the 200 Hz picture is awesome.

bennym_82's picture

Date Joined: 18/05/16

Cheers

Sat, 2017-09-02 12:37

Thanks for that crano, at this stage I'm thinking I will pull the 600w out and put the 1kw in its place. Will run over some known ground with 200/50 split screen and then with 200/50 overlay to see which gives best coverage. LSS2 may still come in handy off Bouvards or Hamelin. 

crano's picture

Date Joined: 04/11/09

Bouvards

Sat, 2017-09-02 15:24

I reckon the LSS2 would be amazing at the bouvards.