Quintrex 610 ocean sport reviews/thoughts/experiences

hey guys,

i got a 610 ocean sport that I do love, its. 2005 build with a unbreakable  Honda 150.

the markets is flooded with plate boats and being that mine is “pressed ally” I bealove 5mm bottom and 3mm presses sides has me thinking that it’s not that tough of a boat. I do smash it through some decent chop and head out the fads and even further out jigging, great boat handed real well and super dry sides.  Has anyone else got a similar boat to mine and even if anyone has some further knowledge about the “presses ally strength” compared to plate ally boats would be amazing. 

Image Upload: 

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

Think corrugated roof

Mon, 2019-07-29 20:09

Think corrugated roof sheeting as opposed to a flat sheet of the same thickness. The roof sheet will be hard to bend on one axis and the other will be like a sheet of paper.

There are significant weight savings between a pressed plate boat as opposed to a plate boat so there is an argument for or against. 

Anyone can make a plate boat, just cut and weld but to make pressed boats, you need jigs made up and once you've made that investment, you can just pump boats out relatively quickly.

There are pros and cons to both. Malcolm Douglass did some pretty mad stuff in a pressed Trailcraft and Quintrex has a pretty decent reputation.

Date Joined: 22/05/19

Yeah I remember watching him

Tue, 2019-07-30 14:09

Yeah I remember watching him as a kid on tv, I still have no clue how his border collie didn’t get eaten by a croc.

but yeah you are right for sure with the plate and pressed example. I wish I could find a comparison in regards to the “equal strength” compared to each other ie; is 3mm press ally equal to 2mm plate or 3mm plate. 

Date Joined: 01/02/10

The problem is rarely the

Tue, 2019-07-30 15:00

The problem is rarely the actual sheet or plate. It’s where it’s welded. Quinnies that do hard work are known for cracking along the keel and also for having ribs breaking off and floating under the floor.

Have a look at a pressed tinny that has been worked hard and you will see all kinds of welding repairs.  

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Swompa's picture

Ah now I understand. Cool

Tue, 2019-07-30 20:46

Ah now I understand. 

Cool name by the way, you must be a great bloke with a name like that 

Date Joined: 04/05/08

Pressing add strength but

Tue, 2019-07-30 15:59

Pressing add strength but from what i understand they have to use a different grade aluminium to get the presses then standard used for flat plate boats.

Swompa's picture

Yep, that is correct. It's

Tue, 2019-07-30 20:47

Yep, that is correct. It's all about textile strength or something like that. I wasn't aware of it until I was rolling aluminium tube and it kept splitting!

Expensive way to learn.

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

The Tensile strength of the

Wed, 2019-07-31 13:17

The Tensile strength of the plate may vary slightly depending on grade purchased, year manufactured...The pressed plate will get a degree of work hardening through that process.

Ali has good impact strength but not the best when it comes to fatigue (cyclic stress)...as mentioned above choosing a good design is one thing choosing a quality fabricator is even more important, Quintrex are well proven i would think.

You want quality fit up and welding of internal stiffeners as well as joints, good clean welding will minimize stress raisers and avoid the chances off cracking as time goes on..

Date Joined: 22/05/19

Yeah that’s why I bought the

Wed, 2019-07-31 14:24

Yeah that’s why I bought the quintrex on it’s name alone and the design of the millennial hulls.

opened the deck up early this week to give it a clean and did find a cracked weld in the sheet that is tacked on the the stringers but not actually welded to hull. Just the decider in frames I guess. Screwed that back in and had a good look at everything else and no cracks throughout. Was pretty happy with that.  Just torn weather to keep it or not and go to a fibreglass. 

Date Joined: 17/06/10

I’ve got a 6m quintrex seasport.

Thu, 2019-08-01 00:33

Ive been to the fads in it and been caught in a sth wester coming home to falcon and believe me that makes for a long trip and day on rather water. Imo they are a good pressed Ali boat i can’t give a comparison to a plate boat as I have never owned one. Compared to a similar sized glass boat which I have owned I like the Ali as it is considerably lighter and easier to handle single handed than the glass.

I think it comes down to knowing your own capabilities and those of your boat and living and being happy within them, sure you can go to the edge of the boundries but always keep in mind just where you are.