quintrex 490 freedom sport

Anyone have any FIRST hand experience with these boats in that size? Have got the itch after selling my last boat and was thinking of a bowrider in that size. I mostly fish in close for whiting and squid along with crabbing in the mandurah estury. I have my eye on a 2012 with a suzuki 60hp 4st with 92hrs, has anyone been in that particular boat with that size motor, I was concerned it may be a little low on the hp side?

Codhead's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/11

HP

Tue, 2016-05-31 21:07

I had a 5.4M coastrunner with a 90HP 4 stroke honda which could do 42 Knots flat out so I dont think you will have a problem

The gods do not deduct from mans allotted span the hours spent in fishing

cobia15's picture

Date Joined: 04/01/12

I'm running a Suzuki 50 4st

Wed, 2016-06-01 01:06

I'm running a Suzuki 50 4st (44 hours) on a quintrex 460 coast runner and get 27 knots/ 31 mph/ 50 kmph so you should get at least that out of a 60 hp on a 490. Personally I think a 60 hp would be perfect for my size boat and probably a 70 hp for the 490.

cheers

THE BEST BILGE PUMP IS A SCARED MAN WITH A BUCKET

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yeah a 60 is perfect for

Wed, 2016-06-01 05:22

Yeah a 60 is perfect for that size Quinnie. I have a mate with that exact boat and he's quite happy with it power wise. I'm also refurbing a 4.75 Bayhunter and did quite a bit of research before settling on a 60 4 stroke Suzi. I just don't like the layout of the Freedom, give me a runabout any day. But I'm thinking maybe your missus has a vote 

Love the West!

Coastrunner's picture

Date Joined: 25/10/14

I've had a Quinny Coastrunner

Wed, 2016-06-01 06:51

I've had a Quinny Coastrunner 480 for a couple years, 60Hp Yammy fourstroke is perfect, 50nm fishing trip uses around $30-$40 fuel. Max Hp rating is 80Hp, that would be the go for dragging the kids around on a biscuit. I'd also vote against the bowrider, you lose quite a bit of fishing room.

Date Joined: 01/01/70

Cheers for the info guys

Wed, 2016-06-01 07:35

Cheers for the info guys... I agree you do lose some room for fishing in relation to a bowrider but the Missus does have some input lol... in saying that the kids will be able to sit upfront so I can keep an eye on them when underway.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

The Mrs and the kids will get

Wed, 2016-06-01 11:40

The Mrs and the kids will get absolutely kidney smashed and sprayed with water in an ali boat in anything other than millpond conditions and you'll spend your days putting around at 10kn because they'll still insist on sitting up there.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Disagree jackfrost, I have

Wed, 2016-06-01 16:42

Disagree jackfrost, I have been in my mates 5m bowrider (older model 2004) and it has been fine ride wise.  Yes its alli and they have a tendency to smack but i have no interest in a glass boat or going over 5m. His has the 90 2smoker and goes hard, I was more concerned about the hp on the one I'm looking at not so much the ride. 

tombstone's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/10

Have to disagree Jackfrost,

Wed, 2016-06-01 12:05

Have to disagree Jackfrost, i have the 560 bowrider and very little to no spray comes over the front due to the flared bow, unless of course it is really hairy out there and you wouldn't be doing more speed than what is safe. When it comes to fishing space, don't be fooled by the bowrider, if you get the insert, the whole front section now becomes a casting deck and very fishable, now considering you will be in the estuary then there is no reason whatso ever that this will not suit your needs down to a t. i have a 90 4st on the 560 and it is more than enough to get it up and going, flat out i have had it over 40knts in glassy conditions. as long as you are aware of its limits and keep safe on the water, there is no reason that this boat wont suit your family needs as well as your fishing needs. just skipper to the conditions, better to get to a spot 1/2 hour later or home 1 hour later, than not getting home at all.

to fish or not to fish...as if there was an option.

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Also have a 560 bow rider

Wed, 2016-06-01 19:27

Also have a 560 bow rider with 90hp and never had a problem with spray, unless turning into waves,etc.

if there is a lot of wind-chop then we just go a bit quicker and stay nice and dry. 

i don't understand the previous comment about bow riders having less deck space...I've had a runabout and bow rider and would be hard pressed to go back to a runabout, unless it was over 7m.... 

Have done the deal... sea

Thu, 2016-06-02 00:44

Have done the deal... sea trial on Saturday arvo and if all goes to plan will be driving home with it in tow