Petition cracks 15000

A marathon effort by RFW and the Tackle/Boating Industry at the Boat Show has pushed the numbers past 15000 now.
I probably need to point out, the EVEN if it doesnt force a rethink by DPIRD and Punch, it will be fodder when this government starts to feel threatened by the Opposition.

Seems a long time away but it will only be one or 2 elections away.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Mick C's picture

Date Joined: 26/12/13

DPIRD Survey v Petition – What the Current Numbers Say (19/9/22)

Mon, 2022-09-19 10:32

As at 10.30am on 19 September, I had a look at the numbers of participants in the DPIRD Consultation Survey versus the Legislative Council Petition for comparison.  I note the survey has been available since 18 August (33 days) and the petition since 26 August (25 days).

As it currently stands, the survey has been completed by 765 persons (average 24 persons per day) and the petition has been signed by 15,328 persons (average 637 persons per day).

If it is assumed that anyone who filled out the survey is happy with a 8 or 9 month ban (fairly unlikely as some will have filled it out to be able to free form comment at the end) and those that have signed the petition are not happy with the proposal (very likely) then the results make interesting reading. With those assumptions it follows that current support for the proposal is 4.75% and opposition is 95.25%.

These figures are fairly compelling, and this sort of information should be made clear to the decision makers.

Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it - LH.

Moondog's picture

Date Joined: 25/06/18

While 15,000 is a bloody good

Tue, 2022-09-20 10:04

While 15,000 is a bloody good number, I can't help but think if its true that there are 750,000 recfishers in WA what are they all doing not signing on? Surely most of them would now know that it's not just the west coast region that is going to be affected?

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yep, should be 100k minium.

Tue, 2022-09-20 10:13

Yep, should be 100k minium. What the fuck are they all doing not signing.

Love the West!

davewillo's picture

Date Joined: 08/09/16

Friends of mine were at the

Tue, 2022-09-20 10:22

Friends of mine were at the Boat Show and didn't sign because they didn't know the background. I told them they should have just asked and when I filled them in they got it and have said they'll sign online. Some people just believe the line that stocks are not recovering and this is needed. Some people are just not that smart!

PGFC member and lure tragic

Date Joined: 27/05/11

They are probably like all

Tue, 2022-09-20 10:25

They are probably like all those I take for one off trips on my boat that I ask to purchase a liscense before joining me. We rarely bag out and most often come back with 2 or less demersals, but I dont want to have to come home early as my deckies don't have a license. My point here is that I challenge the calculation of our recreational catch rate based on the 700k plus RFBL holders.

davewillo's picture

Date Joined: 08/09/16

I've had a licence from the

Tue, 2022-09-20 11:12

I've had a licence from the start and haven't really fished for demersals for years. Most of my fishing is sportfishing or bread and butter stuff. I've signed and written to pollies etc. because I don't want to see the rec sector screwed even harder.

PGFC member and lure tragic

Moondog's picture

Date Joined: 25/06/18

The not so smart people and

Tue, 2022-09-20 14:46

The not so smart people and the lazy people will be the ones that whinge the loudest about nothing being done once the dictator gets his way.