Monties 2019

Gday Folks,

Getting to the time of year when im planning my 2019 trips........ The monties has been on my radar for sometime now and i think its time to get out there and check it out so this post is to gather some more info from people that have done the trip in their tralier boat in the past. Im NOT after fishing spots im after info that will make my trip out there go smoothly. kinda after the tips that your learned along the way ie good camping spots with the different winds and tides.

Anchoring /mooring and any other general information you may have, fortescue is the cloest place for the shortest run out i figure?

Ive done a good few trips in the crusher so have my range worked out pretty good and always use the rule of thirds so i  can carry enough fuel and water no problems and am quite happy with the boat and all that sorta stuff.

Any info or stories will be much appreciated  in helping me decide on the best time to go and from where.

Love my top water fishing  so the trip will be based around that with some jigging chucked in aswell as diving and general relaxing .

Cherrs in advance 

Rob 

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Weather is always touch and

Fri, 2018-12-14 08:51

Weather is always touch and go. April-May seems to be the time we get a few nice days strung together.  

Never had an issue leaving cars and trailers at fortescue. Easy run across from there. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Percula's picture

Date Joined: 23/09/08

fortescue

Sun, 2018-12-16 13:00

Is the shortest. Jiust need to time the drive out there to cross the river.

We did it last year, best thing ever. Doing it again this year.

Watch out for the sanctuary zones, and go have fun!

Lots of lure casting for spanglies, trout etc

Lots of soft plastics for deeper water. Then jigs deeper again. 

Lots of sharks!   :(

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

As above just time your run

Sun, 2018-12-16 16:57

As above just time your run if launching from fortesque. High tide and the creek crossing is shit, low tide and the ramp is shit haha .. I prefer to avoid the issues and launch at dampier, its an extra 20 mile each way tho.. I haven't been to fortesque around the neap tides but i expect it would be the better option unless your happy waiting around the ramp a bit 

Robpado's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/18

Thanks for the replys

Mon, 2018-12-17 07:05

Thanks for the replys fellas, Does the fortescue river dry out or is it just the ramp that the problem being steep??

Griffo84's picture

Date Joined: 28/05/10

Hey Robpado, I have launched

Mon, 2018-12-17 15:16

Hey Robpado, I have launched at Fortescue many time times on varying tides. There is a river you need to cross about 1 km before the Fortescue River. There has only been 2 times where I've seen water in the river crossing and it only came up to just under the side steps. I did cross it and it was fine because I knew where the normal track is. I have heard of people getting bogged if they wonder off the track too much. If you're not sure, I'd wait the 2-3 hours for the water to fall...I have launched my 5.35m side console at a very low spring tide and the ramp is quite steep but doable. Probably wouldn't recommend it with a larger boat. Neap tides you will never have a drama. If it's springs, simply choose your launch time carefully.

Also, if launching at a low spring tide, watch the water depth at the mouth of the river as it gets very shallow. Trim the engine up and take your time.

I'm doing the 6 day charter out at the Monties next year in May so I may see you out there!

Do the right thing and there will be fish tomorrow.