MERCURY 150HP 4STROKE

Just looking to see if anybody on here is running the new Mercury 150hp four stroke.

I like the reviews, but what is interesting is the capacity of the engine at 3ltrs.

For such a big displacement, and low hp, imo would equal good longevity.

Thanks for any feedback

straith's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/13

Went to look at a boat in

Wed, 2014-02-19 21:57

Went to look at a boat in rockingham. 6.8 mtr jackman custom offshore. The guy had repowered with a 2012 merc 150 with smart gauges and was full of praise for it. Heavy boat but could do 38knots in calm 30 easily in rough stuff.

The thing he was really impressed by was its economy though.

Got his from midway marine.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

I believe they are a

Wed, 2014-02-19 22:00

I believe they are a relatively low tech engine, being 2 valve heads etc which isnt a bad thing necessarily

But I havent seen a single adverse review on them yet which is interesting.

Normally Id only hyave a Yam or Suz but the Merc 150 is one Id consider

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/11

Hey Rob

Thu, 2014-02-20 07:38

I can't seem to find any bad reports either atm.

I also read that these engines may be used right upto 200hp.

I like the idea of a high capacity motor and low hp, which should mean less wear and tear, as the engine is not working as hard.

I'm in no way an expert, just been having a good read about these engines.

pgreen1's picture

Date Joined: 20/02/08

Hey John, Am I slowly

Thu, 2014-02-20 09:17

Hey John, Am I slowly converting you haha

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Only slightly larger than

Thu, 2014-02-20 07:56

Only slightly larger than the suki displacement.  But 10kg lighter,  sounds alright to me!

Any idea on pricing?

Date Joined: 18/01/12

if I remember correctly its

Thu, 2014-02-20 08:25

if I remember correctly its pretty competitive pricewise, between the DF140 and 150 price.

NORUN-not sure whats meant by "can be used up to 200hp" though?

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

gruntre69's picture

Date Joined: 15/10/16

Probably that it could be

Mon, 2017-10-23 19:09

Probably that it could be tuned up toward the higher end of performance with mapping fuel/air timing and possibly compression to acheive more horsepower. This would not doubt compromise reliability to some extent though...

They are however a singe cam 8 valve 4, so this will limit horsepower potential.

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

Grumpysmurf's picture

Date Joined: 26/02/09

Can anyone offer opinions on

Thu, 2014-02-20 08:53

Can anyone offer opinions on the Mercury (normal) four stroke vs the Verado four stroke?  Given a choice between the 2, which would you pick?

Haines Signature 610C with Mercury 150 EFI

Grumpysmurf's picture

Date Joined: 26/02/09

Can anyone offer opinions on

Thu, 2014-02-20 08:53

Can anyone offer opinions on the Mercury (normal) four stroke vs the Verado four stroke?  Given a choice between the 2, which would you pick?

Haines Signature 610C with Mercury 150 EFI

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Hey Rob

Thu, 2014-02-20 09:24

The way I read the review, was the engine itself, being the 3ltr, could be used for the 200hp range of engines also.

Apparently this gives more low down torque, and more compareable to the hole shot of say an etec.

Hey Vin, the merc has 2998cc, and suzuk 2866, which I thought was actually quite a bit in engine capacity terms.

Makes for interesting reading as I have never really been a Merc fan, and my only experience is being on a boat with a 250 Verado, and a little tinny that had a 40hp 2stroke.

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Hey Greeny

Thu, 2014-02-20 09:55

Just found out this morning my brother bought one !

It will be interesting to see as he has the same bar crusher as mine.

And yes, your Verado, for all the times we have been fishing has been super quiet and really reliable, and have been really impressed.

We still looking good for a fish Sat night ?

pgreen1's picture

Date Joined: 20/02/08

yep

Thu, 2014-02-20 12:15

yep

Date Joined: 17/01/12

Repower

Mon, 2017-10-23 17:28

Hey guys,

Sorry about the thread dig but any more feedback on the 150hp 4 stroke Merc? Looking to repower a Haines Signature 600rf from an Evinrude Ficht 175 with 800 hours. Bought in 2011 150hrs.

The dealers who sell more than one brand have said the Mercury is as good as it gets at 150hp but real word insights are worth their weight. 

Considering all makes of four stroke and price is a limiting me to only looking at 150hp. 

Cheers and look forward to hearing your thoughts 

gruntre69's picture

I have this engine with

Mon, 2017-10-23 18:52

I have this engine with vesselview7. It's a good engine but my first big outboard so not much perspective from me. I like how it's very easy to self service, it is low HP for the capacity and I'm glad it's simple with no blower. I'd hate to see the price list on the repairs if one of those Verados shat a blower..

There's not much I dislike about it although I guess throttle by wire would be a nice touch because it's sometimes hard to hold the exact revs I want with the cable.

The other thing I would do is buying one is insist that the dealer includes a water sensor fuel filter and use the wire that's included with the engine for the purpose rather than just leave it floating around like HT Marine did on mine.. I reckon it would be worth the extra few bucks and I will probably put one on mine.

Anyway, it pushes my 5.75 cruisecraft along plenty fast enough for me and it's a pretty rare occasion I can open it up with WA offshore conditions. Fuel economy seems pretty good to me and I have figures on a spreadsheet for those that want further details. PM me.

Marine trimmer NOR (available for clears, tops, carpet, upholstery, custom equipment covers)

gruntre69's picture

Oh, I forgot to mention the

Mon, 2017-10-23 19:12

Oh, I forgot to mention the other great advantage of the large displacement low power tuned engine. No valve adjustment for the life of the engine. (according to Mercury) This equates to a big servicing cost at 600 hours for other brands. Especially if you are not handy with spanners...

Date Joined: 26/08/16

off topic i realise

Wed, 2017-10-25 12:07

But even my 90 is 2.1 litres and never requuires any valve adjustment. My first Merc, and very happy so far with 260hrs up. Looks like the old Mercury corrosion gremlin is gone.

NORUN NOFUN's picture

My brother has tipped a

Wed, 2017-10-25 12:19

My brother has tipped just over 600hrs on his 150 since I started this thread, not a problem yet except for a cracked cowling, but that was from trimming the engine too high and hitting the bait board. Most hours ard trolling hours chasing tuna and marlin, normally 50 to 6ok offshore.

gruntre69's picture

Alternator failure

Sun, 2021-05-23 12:35

Thought I'd revive this thread. Mine 2015 has a paltry 420 hours and my alternator has failed. Caused me quite some dramas and it's quite dissapointing. I would expect this to last a bit longer than 400 hours. The inside of my engine cowl looks pristine and it has never been flooded.

I've got it off the engine and had an auto elecrician spin it up on the test bench. He said it's cactus but didn't or couldn't elaborate. Seems that now days in this throw away world that not many are keen to diagnose component items. I'll try another guy who said he will try to diagnose it.

Im hoping it could be the voltage regulator (built in but accessible) or recifier (also built in but accessible) fail rather than the windings. The brushes seem OK.

Date Joined: 28/11/16

Only six years old that's a

Sun, 2021-06-06 20:38

Only six years old that's a bit of a worry. Sorry to hear 

gruntre69's picture

Yep, the mercury bloke at

Tue, 2021-06-08 10:26

Yep, the mercury bloke at least took the time to call. Basically said it's out of warranty. To bad..

It's worth noting that I did have a few batteries fail over the last few years. This would undoubtedly have caused some high loading of the altenator. This shouldn't in my few cause a failure. I have two new marine pros in there now and alternator $380.. On order from east.. 

Date Joined: 20/01/14

I had the same issue

Tue, 2021-06-08 20:16

I had the same issue with the alternator on my Optimax, died after 5 years and not many hours, the automotive electrician blamed it on my batteries which he claimed were on the way out, there was no problem getting a replacement alternator its just a standard automotive pad mount from memory.

Date Joined: 05/05/06

No good, especially from

Mon, 2021-06-07 10:29

No good, especially from brand new. If you have the time im sure there would be a youtube vid about it.

Bend over

Date Joined: 27/05/12

Top 150 Outboard

Tue, 2021-06-08 16:18

I guess im a bit biased because i bought mine Jauary this year to re power my 20 foot Voyager Ghia. Never been a Mecury fan but i am over the moon with my new motor. Only 35 hrs so far but im am impressed with all aspects of this engine. Quiet super powerfull right throughout the power range. Economical at cruise speeds. 40 Knots plus fully loaded. 

Jewskip