Fitting a charge rectifier/regulator to a 30hp Johnson 2000 model

I have an older Johson 30Hp outboard that I need to fit a voltage regulato/rectifier to so that it can charge a battery to run the bilge pump, sounder etc.

The engine does have a charging coil fitted But instead of just 2 yellow wires coming out of it like on the Yamaha engines this one has 3 wires, 2x yellow and a yellow/blue wire.

Anyone here know which wires go where , I am assuming that the 2x yellow wires are for the AC current But the yellow/blue wire has me stumped.

Image Upload: 

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/11

I remember doing this a few

Wed, 2022-03-30 08:02

Cant help on the wires.
I remember doing this a few years ago and from memory the output was bloody terrible to the point that I didn't bother and just upgraded to a decent capacity battery that would last for days on end and when out of the water just left the CTEK charger connected up.

Date Joined: 03/07/09

From memory the put out

Wed, 2022-03-30 10:22

From memory the put out about 6A, Not much really But plenty to run a sounder and the bilge pump occasionally.

The regulator/rectifier only cost $30 so it is worth a shot.

still trying's picture

Date Joined: 27/06/17

I fitted one to my 30hp

Wed, 2022-03-30 13:13

I fitted one to my 30hp yamaha and it was awesome never had to charge the battery again, until I burnt out the rectifier. 

rather be fishing

Date Joined: 03/07/09

Fitted the rectifier/voltage

Tue, 2022-04-19 05:25

Fitted the rectifier/voltage regulator today.

All three yellow wires connect to the regulator with a + wire coming from the unit .

All i had to do was earth the - lead and connect up the + to the battery.

14V at 7A, Not a mass of power but plenty to keep the battery charged and run a little sounder and bilge pump occasionally.

Fitting a charge rectifier/regulator to a 30hp Johnson 2000 model