Coral Bay 2016

With another trip to Coral bay coming up in the next couple of weeks – getting a little excited with anticipation. It usually starts a couple of weeks out with the thoughts of “what’s the biggest red going to be”, “can’t wait to get stuck into the goldbands”, “hope we can find some rubies”, and probably more than anything, “hope the wind stays the f*ck away!”

Anyway, whilst thinking of what’s ahead, noticed we didn’t lodge a report on what had past – latest trip to CB from April this year.

This trip was a little different from the usual boys trip as we enlisted a couple of young guns (our lads) for their first (of hopefully many) CB fishing trip.

Trip started with a drive through the night on the Thursday, to arrive in CB around 8am on the Friday morning. Check into the backpackers for a day, grab a pie for breakfast, and then hit the water.

We were blessed with the weather over the first few days, but this would turn later in the trip.

Anyway, day 1 headed out south passage to a likely lump and the sounder lit up! This was a spot that regularly produces and it was looking the goods again. Set the young lads up on the first drop but the fish just weren’t interested.
Everywhere we went, the sounder showed plenty of activity, but they just weren’t interested in in biting. We ended up with a couple for dinner and returned back to base to recover from the previous nights drive. Here is an extract from my mates lads electronic diary – although we didn’t clean up on the fish, this is priceless:

“Day one we went fishing and I caught two fish my friend Zak caught no fish my bapou caught a red emperor my dad caught three fish and my friend got seasick but didn't vomit.then we went home and saw some snappers at the beach andone bit my friends finger and they swam through our legs and we feed the fish's and then we went to the pub and watched footy port Adelaide vs Essendon port Adelaide won by a lot then we went home and went to sleep.
I'd rate it 9/10 for that day”

Day 2 was much of the same and with the weather looking good, we headed north and out to some deeper water in search of some goldband. It was similar to day one in that the sounder was promising but the fish just weren’t hungry (this seemed to be common with everyone fishing at the time). First drop we copped a few decent bites but then it shut down all together. We tried for a while but then conceded and came in to some shallower ground. We got onto a couple of fish and the young lads hooked up so there were smiles and high fives all round. Was awesome to see the new recruits pull in some nice reds..

Day 3 and the weather was one – and luckily so were the fish (we have been telling our boys what great fishermen we are for years and those tales were starting to look a little tall after a couple of days with limited fish!).
Rods were buckled over for the best part of the morning with the boys clearly out-fishing the men on the Reds! High fives and smiles again and three days in a row on the boat and we couldn’t be prouder of the boys. The next couple of days were not looking good weather wise which I think was a blessing as it let us all recover a little and show the boys some more of the Bay.

Day4 – lay day! And a couple of mates turn up

Day 5 – Head out south again for a relatively quiet day on the bait. Managed to wrestle up a few more reds and rankins and Paul on the Jigs cleaned up on an assorted of Tuna, rankins, cobia etc – he was getting smashed every drop (cant load these fish photos tho as they are bitmap - but you get the idea)

Day 6 – one boat headed out North again in search of some deeper species whilst the youn guns explored a bit more of the bay.. Turned out a pretty good day all round snorkelling all through the bay and some big rosies, goldbands and pinkies hitting the deck. (same problem again with most of the photos from the boat - ah well)

Day 7 – weather had come up again so it was an early departure back to Perth.

All round a great trip and awesome to get the boys into some great fish.

Up there again in just over two weeks so back to the wait in anticipation of what’s to come……..

cheers

Brett

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 23/09/14

Excellent write up and

Tue, 2016-07-26 09:38

Excellent write up and quality fish to boot.

Any reason why you got your sounder on LF in lieu of HF in that depth?

Cheers Mitch

Date Joined: 14/05/12

sounder

Tue, 2016-07-26 10:11

hi Mitch,

no, no reason for LF in 80m. Definitely don't need it. Was probably just playing around with it. Or ill blame the deckie!!

cheers

kirky79's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/12

Great to see the young uns

Tue, 2016-07-26 22:16

Into it. 

We used to spend 6 weeks a year up there as kids every Christmas and have very similar pictures(except instead of Reds lots of Spainards)

Date Joined: 26/04/14

Great write up.All I see is

Wed, 2016-07-27 05:40

Great write up.

All I see is red red red 

Date Joined: 10/04/12

I suggest you buy your mate

Wed, 2016-07-27 08:05

I suggest you buy your mate some new boardshorts and get rid of the pink smugglers 

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Been waiting for that to get

Wed, 2016-07-27 08:41

Been waiting for that to get a mention.

They are certainly not appropriate fishing attire!

Oh yeah, top looking red esky as well.

Date Joined: 14/05/12

speedos

Wed, 2016-07-27 09:45

yep. Re fishing attire - he reckons they attract the reds!?

don't suppose you know who it is do you jsmolly??

Date Joined: 10/04/12

one of your dodgy mates no

Wed, 2016-07-27 19:51

one of your dodgy mates no doubt. his nickname matches is it?!