Changes to recreational fishing rules 1/7/21

New Rules:

Pelagic Fillets now need to be stored with skin on! Generally with skin off - fish is less "fishy in flavour".

Now we will have to skin and trim fish up into cutlets etc at food prep time! No longer at clean-prep time. Will take longer to defrost as well etc etc!

www.fish.wa.gov.au/About-Us/News/Pages/new-recreational-fishing-rules.aspx

rules which will apply from 1 July 2021.

The new rules are a proactive management response to issues raised by the WA fishing community, in consultation with WA’s peak recfishing body, Recfishwest, to help manage the impact of increased fishing activity on demersal scalefish.

The most important change is the introduction of trip limits. The possession limit of 20kg of finfish fillets remains, but all fillets in excess of 10kg must be from large pelagic species, stored separately with the skin attached. 20kg is the equivalent of 100 x 200gm meals – that’s a lot of fish!

Fishers will also welcome updates to filleting at sea and the definition of whole fish, which include the removal of the 30cm minimum fillet length; and that whole large pelagics can be cut in two pieces and still be considered as one fish. For both rules, skin will need to be attached while still at sea.

To help support catch care principles across the State, the master of a boat fishing for demersal scalefish by line, both recreational and charter, anywhere in the State, must be in possession of a release weight.

Date Joined: 28/05/15

Knee jerk

Wed, 2021-06-09 15:45

Knee jerk reaction to appease a couple of Karen's from a regional town.

scotto's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/08

It’ll be interesting

Wed, 2021-06-09 15:56

To see what they are going to do towards thinning out the sharks.

After all, recfishwest were only going to support these changes if they were going to do something about ALL the recommended changes RFW announced, which included measures like reopening pro shark fishing, and the like.  

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

No more eating sashimi at

Wed, 2021-06-09 17:08

No more eating sashimi at sea unless you can eat the whole thing. 

Pack of rubbish if you ask me . Skin and scales just adds to the weight , not that I am a freezer filler but if you get a nice tuna there is a lot of waste meat in them which you can't remove with the skin in tact . (Just an example) 

Sharks need to be addressed. On my recent trip to CB one bloke said to me t hey lost about 70 reds over 2 weeks to sharks. Not sustainable at all if this happens.

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

hilko's picture

Date Joined: 27/03/18

Shark with Skin on....

Wed, 2021-06-09 17:23

Who is going to take flake home now with skin on? Think of all the extra weight/waste

The Saint's picture

Date Joined: 30/01/13

So now i can go out for a

Wed, 2021-06-09 17:27

So now i can go out for a deep drop,  catch and legally keep 2 greyband and haven't broken the law...........until I fillet them !

And where do fish that are not in the demersal or pelagic catergory fit in ? e.g mulloway, flathead, charlie courts, whiting etc.

I'm all for sustainable fishing, but this is over the top.

Date Joined: 30/06/20

That's the one thing I've

Wed, 2021-06-09 19:24

That's the one thing I've been thinking about heaps too

More of a fisherman than a catcherman

little johnny's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/11

More shit to read

Wed, 2021-06-09 18:11

From car park police . Getting harder year by year to understand . Oh dear :)

Date Joined: 05/05/06

Thanks 'WA fishing

Wed, 2021-06-09 18:35

Thanks 'WA fishing community' and or recfishwest

Bend over

black gen's picture

Date Joined: 13/04/11

Sharks need to be knocked on

Wed, 2021-06-09 19:15

Sharks need to be knocked on the head first 

you can't tell me that sharks drilling your fish all day while you continue to try catch a feed isn't doing the most harm to fish stocks

10kg per person is going to have a fair few people questioning the annual fishing trip that's for sure 

this change is an absolute farce based on zero research as they claim to always use 

but it's ok we will review in 12 months 

what's the bet the review says "oh wow look at the positive impact it's had, let's continue these rules"

let's just leave the professionals alone because the rec blokes are doing all the damage....fucken joke fisheries

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Like BJ has said, once gone

Wed, 2021-06-09 20:22

Like BJ has said, once gone very hard to get back. I think the 20kg demersal bag limit is history. 

Love the West!

scotto's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/08

RFW

Wed, 2021-06-09 19:41

I've just got their statement via email....

fuckin RFW are softer than marshmallows by the looks.... They beat their chest pretty hard here, stating they'd only support reduced demersal limits if a number of their recommendations were accepted AS A WHOLE, and fisheries weren't to cherry-pick the mst favourable of their recommendations.... well, fisheries have done exactly that, and a bit more. 

I've been a big supporter of RFW for a long time, but I'm noticing a gradual weakening of their punch on contentious and political issues.

little johnny's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/11

Pretty soon

Wed, 2021-06-09 20:46

Everyone will have glass bottom boats . So you can look and not touch . Don’t hand frames in/ or do surveys/ or tags . It will bite you in ass , you may think your doing right thing , your just hanging yourself . all for saving stock for our kids/ grandkids ect. Going to need a uni deg to understand rules soon . Snapper ban was a trial many years ago ( only a trial ) funny . Do nothing for surveys at all . When they do there sums it’s only guess work .( fact) .

Date Joined: 27/05/11

Has anyone seen a document

Thu, 2021-06-10 07:18

Has anyone seen a document with these changes incorporated into a full list of rules? I can only find the current (old) rules and then the short snippets talking about "the most important changes". I'm keen to read all the rules in context.

A few questions come to mind...

- does the abolishment of the 30cm fillet at sea rule apply in local Perth waters... Why?

- Does the trip limit of 10kg demersal fillets apply per person, ie. myself and family can have 10kg each?

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yes, it's a possession limit

Thu, 2021-06-10 07:51

Yes, it's a possession limit so 10kg of demersal and 10 of pelagic per person.

Love the West!

sealure's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/12

RFW wants us to believe that

Thu, 2021-06-10 07:34

RFW wants us to believe that it's an independent body that represents us. 
As said before it's nothing but a QUANGO that really acts as a mouthpiece for the Government. 

All froth & bubble when it comes to the real problem with sustainable fishing which even blind freddie knows is the shark problem. 
There initial submission clearly stated that they would only support changes if it included skark mitigation strategies. 
What further evidence do we need that they are nothing but a QUANGO. 

sealure's picture

Date Joined: 19/05/12

Fishing at Coral Bay is

Thu, 2021-06-10 08:11

Fishing at Coral Bay is rapidly approaching Samson fishing in Perth. Unless of course you only fish beyond 100m depths. One suspects that Fisheries would be very happy with that outcome. 
Distance & weather would complete the plan. 

Survey of catch was being done at Coral Bay. 
I have never seen any survey on Shark problem. Fish lost or a simple sinker count or terminal tackle loss would surely make for a start. When I spoke to the people recording catch details at Coral Bay they had no instructions to record any problems with sharks. 

Date Joined: 13/08/20

what a load of crap. I'm all

Thu, 2021-06-10 09:34

what a load of crap. I'm all for protecting fish stocks, but as mentioned above the real issue that needed action was the shark problem...

Ticketyboo!!

BigJevans's picture

Date Joined: 07/09/18

removal for 30cm fillet rule

Thu, 2021-06-10 09:46

I dont understand the removal of the minimum 30cm rule for filleting at sea? I can see a lot of 48cm dhueys being filleted at sea with this change.

Belly Fish's picture

Date Joined: 09/03/12

BigJevans

Thu, 2021-06-10 09:56

I think that only applies if you stay out for multiple days, not for day trips

BigJevans's picture

not sure?

Thu, 2021-06-10 14:42

It says "filleting at sea" in the fisheries release, I think that would mean day trip.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

48cm dhuies, a definite

Sat, 2021-06-12 22:44

48cm dhuies, a definite possibility, but think about this-is it a better outcome that a person keeps a 48cm dhuie and stops fishing, or releases 2,3,4 of them before getting a 55cm one?

Opinions on that will reflect on how successful you believe the release of these fish are.

Keeping more than your bag limit is illegal whether it 48 or 60cm regardless

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

BigJevans's picture

yep

Mon, 2021-06-14 06:20

Yeah Rob im with you on that one, particularly with species like baldies where they reckon they dont survive being released.

Date Joined: 10/05/10

Fishing license fees WA $290

Thu, 2021-06-10 10:07

Fishing license fees WA $290 NSW $35 VIC $35 QUEENSLAND $0 wonder what makes us so special both NSW and the VICS have cheaper options for less than a yesr and under 18s and concession holders are free there bag limits are much higher than ours to boot all this with higher population than ours me thinks we are being ripped off something rec fish won't go near because they het a piece of the pie.

Lefty 44's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/17

ok then

Thu, 2021-06-10 11:22

Kids and Mrs will now come on trips, with licenses. 40kg of demersals instead of 20kg just because I can.

Fillets will be left with skin on but trimmed all the way back to only the best parts. All bones removed.

Neighbors and friends will now only get Macky instead of demersal fillets.

Please read with Sarcasm.....

Just proving that rules only punish those who already do the right thing....FFS 

Date Joined: 10/05/10

Misses and kids don't need a

Thu, 2021-06-10 12:48

Misses and kids don't need a lic as you can still gift fish on .

Mark_M's picture

Date Joined: 10/04/15

lol

Sat, 2021-06-12 12:48

Apparently, anglers on charter boats don't have an impact on the fish stocks, this from the FAQs, here:

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/About-Us/News/Pages/new-recreational-fishing-rules.aspx

".....Passengers on extended live aboard charter tours are exempt from the trip limit and can still accumulate up to 20kg of fillets of any species provided the fish are labelled with the person’s full name, the name of the charter boat and the date
the tour ended...."

And a reminder that this is what the Department of Primary Industry and Regional Development (DPIRD) director for aquatic resource management, Nathan Harrison, said at the time, September last year:

"...as a science-based agency", (DPIRD) would compile information " to try and manage fish stocks in the most responsible way" rather than though kneejerk reactions.

"We're about to commence a new survey, which will go for a 12-month period around the state, which will look at monitoring recreational catch on a state-wide basis," he said.

"That will provide us with a good benchmark to look at what's happening."

Ha, political expediency (and a new Minister) overule science every time :-)

Lastchance's picture

Date Joined: 02/02/09

Far out, thats nothing short

Sun, 2021-06-13 03:09

Far out, thats nothing short of comical. Soon you'll need a degree in law to understand the WA fishing rules, if not already.

Date Joined: 16/05/09

Came back in yesterday to

Sun, 2021-06-13 06:26

Came back in yesterday to have fisheries research at the ramp. Was politely told to go get fucked.

Saulty2's picture

Date Joined: 28/05/10

JMO

Sun, 2021-06-13 09:38

greens  makes representations & dictate ,labour adobts with no ramifications , fisheries just carry out orders , guess thats the price we pay for a 1 party state , IMO the trend is irreversable  

Date Joined: 08/10/13

80 plus boats out every day

Sun, 2021-06-13 22:11

80 plus boats out every day the winds not blowing 20 knots at tantabiddi some days over 100 has been like that since easter.  Very sustainable.  Used to happen during the july school holidays now its all tourist season.  The road out of town was closed due to flooding ther othe day and the moment it opened there was a line of boats about a 2km long heading down yardie creek road its nuts. 

BlueKiaser's picture

Date Joined: 22/04/15

Tantabiddi popularity

Tue, 2021-06-15 01:17

We did half a dozen trips to Exmouth during 2004-2007 and fished Tantabiddi most days.
During our first few trips, it averaged about a dozen trailers in the carpark per day.
We were bagging out on Red Emperor 4miles out.
By 2006 & 2007 there was often over 50 trailers in the carpark and our spots close no longer produced fish.
An increasing recreational fishing pressure has been happening for decades and the improvements in large trailer boats and technology has added to that.
It's not a recent last few years thing.
Long term problems need to be addressed and that requires some really good understanding of fish stocks, not just reactive changes led by the complaints of a few.

These recent changes are simply political point scoring reactions.
Has anybody seen any estimates of what these changes will actually do to recreational catch rates ... because I can't think of one single fishing holiday north where these new rules would have impacted myself or the number of fish we caught and returned home with.
The only times I have returned with 20kg of just demersal quality fillets has been on a couple of extended live aboard charters ... and those guys will still be exempt from the new 10kg (demersal) + 10kg (pelagics) rule change.

I'm genuinely interested in how many here will be impacted.

Date Joined: 26/03/17

although i am notneccessarily

Mon, 2021-06-14 12:26

although i am notneccessarily agreeing that this is the right approach ( havent really payed too much attention as never had to worrky about exceeding my limit lol!!), but i do agree that somethng has to be done. I have no doubt that there seems to be way more boats on the water at the moment, and way more people traveling in regional wa, hence much more pressure on the stocks. If this carries on we will be faced with very tough restrictions in the future, and have lost some amazing fisheries..

definitely agree the sharks need adressing. even someone like me who struggles to catch fish has had to deal with it!

in my opinion research is the key. the more we know about these species, the better we can manage stocks etc, coz human pop, boat numbers and number of fishers is only going to go up.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Having just returned from

Tue, 2021-06-15 17:15

Having just returned from Denham I kind of get why they're concerned. The same boats out day after day in any weather with 5 people on board until they bag out.

I fished under two licences with my family of 5 and we came home with 8kg of fillets and ate fresh fish and squid a few nights there. We are more than happy with that as we were bagged out with 10 in an hour, the kids had a ball and I wasn't spending 3hrs filleting 25 fish at the infamous Denham filleting tables.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Bradmac73's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/17

Agreed

Tue, 2021-06-22 16:12

Saw the same recently in the same area with one boat going every day and filling up on XL pinks, (7-9 between 2 people).  When challenged they claimed it was ok as their mates on land also had licences, clearly did not understand or care for the boat limit or limits in general.   It's these people who create the noise from locals who think everyone is doing the same unfortunately.   

Bradmac73's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/17

double post

Tue, 2021-06-22 16:13