2009 Suzuki DF250 oil seal protector and propeller stopper

Hello all.

I'm looking for some guidance on the installation of the oil seal protector and propeller stopper on my 2009 Suzuki DF250, and hope there are some forum members familiar enough with Suzuki outboards who will be able to explain to me what i've found.  I live in a remote town and unfortuntely i can't simply take it to a marine mechanic, hence why i've learnt to do much of the mechanical work myself, and want to ensure i get it right first time.

While regreasing the prop shaft today as part of some annual maintenance, i spotted what looked like melted plastic or rubber behind the propeller stopper.  Fearing a damaged oil seal, i proceeded to remove the propeller stopper and i came across a loose set clip, a thin tapered ring (almost like some kind of bearing race), and a melted/damaged oil seal protector.  Luckily the oil seal looks completely undamaged, which is a win, but i'm very confused with the setup between the propeller stopper and and the oil seal.  Refer to the attached photos.

A few things do look very odd:

1) I would have expected the oil seal to be seated further into the bearing housing, exposing a groove for the set clip to lock in the oil seal protector within the bearing housing itself.

2) The thin tapered ring doesn't fit in with the overall scheme, and doesn't show up on any drawings (mostly use Browns Point).

3) There was another person who had a similar observation on their DF225 and posted this on a Suzuki outboard forum in Aug-19 wwith no responses (https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/forum/general-discussion/suzuki-outboard-parts-forum/52866-prop-shaft-seal-replacement).

I've somehow managed to get the pieces to fit together if they are indeed all meant to be used, but even still the arrangement doesn't seem right because the new oil seal protector could potenitally rub on the raised 93J1 text on the propeller stopper (i know all these parts should be spinning in sync on the prop shaft, but there is the potential they could slip causing damage).

I will be ordering a new oil seal protector within the next couple of days, and hope my usual dealer will have some answers, but i'm not inspired with confidence given the online resources i've already been through.

Look forward to hearing back something.

Tom

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 14/05/13

Boats.net

Mon, 2020-03-09 10:28

Seems they may have what you are looking for.

I cannot copy and paste for some reason but search for outboard by year number, and then it comes up under "transmission" tab

scubafish's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/12

Try

Mon, 2020-03-09 12:38

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki/outboard-by-year/2009

http://img.gg/BQ91Sys

chevaps's picture

Date Joined: 04/01/13

Soooo, I have my answer.!The

Mon, 2020-03-09 18:01

Soooo, I have my answer.!

The dealer's lead mechanic was onto it straight away and I didn't believe him at first.

It turns out the loose mystery ring was once part of the bearing carrier, until at some point the set clip decided to start spinning, rapidly wearing a deeper groove until it cut through completely, shearing off the ring piece I found.  Upon closer inspection I can now see a very feint lip on one of the ring's faces which is no doubt the material that once formed part of the set clip groove in the carrier.

Sad news for me is that I need a whole new bearing carrier, which isn't available on it's own, and I have to buy a whole unit with new bearings,  o-ring, oil seals, oil seal protector, and set clip..... and here i was thinking i was only up for a $5 seal protector.... preventative maintenance is clearly over-rated.

I could fore-go the seal protector and run the gauntlet, and hope that a single seal holds if line was to mangle the outer oil seal, but I don't think I could bring myself to run the outboard like that.  Do it right first time!  The lead mechanic did mention it's not common, but not the first time he's seen this.  He also said the newer outboards don't have the seal protector, but have a differently designed propeller stopper.

Interesting the things you learn when doing things yourself.

Hopefully other forum members have learnt something new today as well.

ROCKPOM's picture

Date Joined: 23/04/07

Have look at Megazip for

Mon, 2020-03-09 19:15

Have look at Megazip for parts and pricing you may have some luck there