Sounder overheated

 I've  got a Lowrance HDS live 7 and yesty she put up an overheated warning and it was extremely hot to  touch. I shut it down but remained hot for 20 mins so I disconnected  the power to it. I have it wired to my accessories  at the helm. Should I re_wire straight to the batteries or.........? I would appreciate  any advice to help me get this sorted before my boat ends up on fire. Cheers


Posts: 6265

Date Joined: 26/04/14

 wire straight to battery

Sat, 2020-05-16 19:48

 wire straight to battery with decent cable and fuse.

 can you protect the sounder from direct heat? mine is in direct sunlight and never over heated, seems strange and could be a fault with sounder.

 look up the specs of the sounder and see if they have a small fan inbuilt.

 

sea-kem's picture

Posts: 13448

Date Joined: 30/11/09

 I'd doubt it, being a sealed

Sun, 2020-05-17 10:56

 I'd doubt it, being a sealed unit would be a solid state drive. But you're right power supply needs to be constant. 

____________________________________________________________________________

Love the West!

Posts: 6265

Date Joined: 26/04/14

(No subject)

Sun, 2020-05-17 12:21

Posts: 509

Date Joined: 03/01/12

Overheating

Sun, 2020-05-17 08:35

 

I have Lowrance HDS Live 9 and first time I took it out the overheating warning alarm came up and it shut down, 

I contacted Lowrance and also where I purchased boat and sounders from for info, 

Lowrance asked me to try it again and if same thing happened to send it back for either repair (brand new) or replacement

Thankfully it hasn't happened again, I thought mine may have been an isolated case but now it doesn't seem like it.

Definately contact Lowrance and let them know and get their advice.

____________________________________________________________________________

 Skull