Sams Creek Reef (21/4/07)

Went down to sams creek reef today to launch my GT assualt. Bit of a walk in due to not having a 4WD but it was manageable. Walking along the reef was harder work than the walk in.
Was fishing with my Stella 20000 on my Saltiga GT86 rod. Lure I was using was a river2sea dumbell. Casting was a breeze with the rod. I was able to punch out 50-60m casts with the GT86 and I don't have a great deal of casting experience.
Managed an average reef shark and a decent sized queenie. Got some agressive hits from some small GT's right at my feet but didn't hook up (lure was a bit big).
On one particularly good cast I'd only managed two bloops when I saw a massive splash behind the popper. I almost fell over when my legs turned to jelly. Paused for a couple of seconds and I was hooked up. Had the stella singing for about 20 seconds, cranked to drag a bit more, still singing for about another 10 seconds then nothing. Thought I'd been sharked or busted off on the reef but the hooks just pulled. Didn't hook up on the remainder of the retrieve. To say I was p*&&ed off would be an understatement. The Japanese dudes on the ore ships could probably hear me swearing lol.
Punched out a dozen more casts in the same area, no more hook ups.
Can't call it for a GT as I didn't get a positive ID but it was BIG.
All in all it was good to test out my new rod and suss out some GT ground off Point Samson. Would be a good spot for GT's at the right time I reckon.

Sorry, no pics of the Queenie or Shark.. had to walk through water you can see in the second pic to get to the reef. Was up to my waist and I didn't want to risk getting my camera wet.
Jay

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

ok

Sat, 2007-04-21 20:45

Nice first try. I reckon with a bit more experience you'll be able to reach the 80m+ mark on casts. Alot of GT rods should be able to do that.

Don't forget to set the hooks when you hook up, just like jigging. Taking line doesn't mean a solid hookup. Get it into 'em.

Did better than me in Exxy, off all 3 islands and NW reef, during and after high tide, in the few days after a full moon, off a boat. You'd think I'd be able to jag one on the back-side! but no!

Thats not too bad of a start then is it? :P Trade you 10 sambos for one of those decent bad boys.

P.S. Hope youre using barbless trebles, Owner 4/0s or 5/0s are a good start.

Let the games begin.

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

"Don't forget to set the

Sat, 2007-04-21 21:27

"Don't forget to set the hooks when you hook up, just like jigging. Taking line doesn't mean a solid hookup. Get it into 'em."

I'm pretty sure that's where I went wrong Kasey. It was in the back of my mind as soon as I lost the fish. I reckon I need to fish with more drag to make it easier to set the hooks and then back it off later in the fight.

I figured it was a good first try. I'm keen to get into them again.

It was a new moon last tuesday, if that has anything to do with it? Is it best just after a full moon kasey?

"Hope youre using barbless trebles"

Sorry, only just bought those poppers from Adventure sports today and they didn't have a great deal of choice when it comes to cutomising poppers... they didn't have the unrigged haymakers either.. only the rigged ones. Gonna get some owner barbless trebles ASAP.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

"bad luck dude... but

Sat, 2007-04-21 21:30

"bad luck dude... but still...it beats working hey!!! nice report...and bot does that water look fishy" 
Water is fishy for sure but it was quite shallow where I was fishing... next time I'll walk the extra distance and fish the end of the reef where I think it's a bit deeper.
The water was like a millpond as it got later, I was standing on a rock looking out over the water when I had my good hookup and it looked absolutely awesome!
-----------------
Jay Burgess