Point Samson Report 13/5/07

Woke up to some lovely weather on Sunday. Couldn't beleive the dreadful 4 knot wind pounding away so we decided to head up to Samson. Launched a little late due to the fact we had a sleep in because of the 15kt + winds that were forecasted in the morning. On the water around 10.30 we headed out to Delambre Reef.
Dropped the bait jigs down and did well on fusilers so quickly switched over to the bottom rigs. Action started slow with a zillion small bites from small snapper and only hooking up juvies now and then. Towards the end of the drift I hooked something decent and pulled in a nice blue lined emperor around 50cm.

Started the drift again and thought things were starting to pick up but it stayed quiet. Just before we were about to move I hooked up again and this time pulled in another nice emperor a little over 50cm.
Thought it was going to be one of those days where you pick up a few good bits and pieces after ALOT of moving around. We decided the weather was too good to miss an oportunity to head out to the #1 marker so we started heading out further.
On the way there we stopped to fish a couple of nice patches of reef and picked up another couple of nice emperor and a nice estuary cod about 8kg.
Kept motoring out and decided to stop at some reef near the #2 marker. Things picked up here and we nailed a couple more snapper as well as a 65cm Coral Trout and a 71cm Chinaman fish.

Total for the day was a half dozen of good sized blue-lined emps, coral trout, chinaman fish and estuary cod.
By-catch was some small rankins, ruby snapper, triggerfish, spanish flag and some other things I can't really remember right now.
All in all a fantastic day fish wise and weather wise.

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Top report Jay

Mon, 2007-05-14 17:39

That's a thumper coral trout too. Well done.

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

dan south's picture

Date Joined: 02/05/06

Good report Jay done well

Mon, 2007-05-14 17:49

Good report Jay done well water looks awsome.

Kal's picture

Date Joined: 30/04/07

nice fish both are still on

Tue, 2007-05-15 07:53

nice fish both are still on my to do list .