Peru 2016

Hi guys! I've been busy with my thesis and haven't been around much here. But I was able to take a trip to Peru at the end of July to mid August. This report is a little late since there were fish that were very difficult to identify. There are still some fish we're not sure of.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this virtual trip to Peru! :)

This trip almost didn't happened TWICE! But I was glad to make the sacrifices to make it happen in the end. Full story on the blog. I spent roughly one week around Cusco and one week in the Peruvian Amazon close to Iquitos. Most of the fishing was done in the Amazon, but I was happy to catch at least one Andean species and two saltwater species. This visit to Peru also allowed me to check off another continent which I have fished. Now I just need Africa ;) and Antarctica :shock:!

The full blog starts here on Day 1 (I'm sure you can navigate through the other days on my blog):

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/2016/07/2016-peru-day-1.html

Here are some selected photos. Lots more on my blog.

Cusco

Pisac

Ollantaytambo

Salkantay hike - Highest I've ever hiked so far (4600m)...while having a bout of food poisioning!

Machu Picchu

Peruvian Amazon

Some interesting food

Guinea pig

Alpaca

Palm weevil larvae

Breaded Arapaima

~~~~~~

And finally, roughtly 50 species from fish from Peru caught on this trip.

Acrobrycon ipanquianus - Species #579

Serrasalmus rhombeus - Species #580 (Red eye and thick black margin on the tail ID this as S. rhombeus)

Pirapitinga (Piaractus brachypomus) - Species #581

Red Piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri) - Species #582

Bloch's Catfish (Pimelodus blochii) - Species #583

Sorubim maniradii - Species #584 (black stripe seems diffuse to me)

Cynodon gibbus - Species #585 (little cousin to the well known Payara. The Payara has much shorter anal fin)

Ageneiosus ucayalensis - Species #586

Triportheus angulatus - Species #587

Tetragonopterus argenteus - Species #588

Stethaprion crenatum - Species #589

Triportheus albus - Species #590

Flatwhiskered Catfish (Pinirampus pirinampu) - Sepcies #591

Trahira (Hoplias malabaricus) - Species #592

Spotted Pike-characin (Boulengerella maculata) - Species #593

Brycon melanopterus - Species #594

Mesonauta mirificus - Species #595 (updated)

Crenicichla semicincta - Species #596 (Green diagonal bands on the body is the ID key)

Leporinus moralesi - Species #597 (This species was determined base on range. L. moralesi is found in Peru)

Blue Whale Catfish (Cetopsis coecutiens) - Species #598

Pterodoras granulosus - Species #599

Cichla monoculus - Species #600!!!

Brycon cephalus - Species #601 (Still trying to determine if it really is B. cephalus)

Tucan Fish (Chalceus erythrurus) - Species #602

Spotfin Hatchetfish (Thoracocharax stellatus) - Species #603

Rhamdia quelen - Species #604 (updated)

Hypselecara temporalis - Species #605

Ageneiosus inermis - Species #606

Spotted sorubim (Pseudoplatystoma corruscans) - Species #607

Brachyplatystoma vaillantii - Species #608

Zamurito (Calophysus macropterus) - Species #609

Unknown - Species #610 (still being determined)

Ctenobrycon hauxwellianus - Species #611

Aequidens tetramerus - Species #612 (we think these are A. tetramerus...still checking)

Brachychalcinus sp. - Species #613 (some thinks it is B. copei, but I'm not so sure)

Bujurquina syspilus - Species #614

Mylossoma aureum - Species #615

Roeboides myersii - Species #616

Pimelodella cristata - Species #617 (I'm certain it is a Pimelodella, and P. cristata seems the closest)

Aimara (Hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus) - Species #618

Erythrinus erythrinus - Species #619

Bandtail Tetra (Moenkhausia dichroura) - Species #620

Glass tetra (Moenkhausia oligolepis) - Species #621

Moenkhausia chrysargyrea - Species #622 (updated)

Astyanax sp. - Species #623 (In the publication Ornamental Fishes of Peru, this was listed as an Astyanax sp., but no one seems to know which species it is)

Twospot Astyanax (Astyanax bimaculatus) - Species #624

Moenkhausia colletti - Species #625 (Still trying to verify this)

Pimelodella gracilis - Species #626 (There are so many similar Pimelodella species, still not sure which one)

Moenkhausia lepidura - Species #627

Giant Blenny (Scartichthys gigas) - Species #628

Chalapo Clinid (Labrisomus philippii) - Species #629

Updated:

Cichlasoma amazonarum - Species #630 - Technically, it was caught in the same pond as Aequidens teramerus, so really should be Species #613 and everything after gets pushed back a number. But I'm not going to edit that number here. This species was ID'd by 4 anal spines and several rows of scales on the posterior rays of the dorsal and anal fins.

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Species # 600!

Sat, 2016-09-03 11:13

You'd have to be happy it was a well-known sportfish (peacock bass) as opposed to all the lesser recognised bits and pieces!

And that grilled alpaca looks pretty good!

Date Joined: 23/11/10

I feel the opposite

Sat, 2016-09-03 11:52

I feel the opposite actually.

There are probably tens of thousands of people who have caught a Peacock Bass and other well known sportfish like the Trahira. How many people in the world have caught a Spotfin Hatchetfish on hook and line? Or some of those small tetras by hook and line?

To be special, you need to do something unique. Catching a Peacock Bass, a well-known sportfish and main targets, is neither special nor unique. So much has been written about them, and so many films have featured them. Same old, same old.

To be honest, I was really hoping my #600 would be something really obscure and rare. Unfortunately, you can't really plan it out that way. The species comes when it comes...

But always think outside the box and expand the horizon!

Date Joined: 02/01/11

Interesting study. Always

Sat, 2016-09-03 12:43

Interesting study. Always liked your catalogue if species.

Are you also compiling/storing a DNA repository with these species. 

I suppose funding might be a an issue here.

No, I don't work in

Sat, 2016-09-03 12:49

No, I don't work in ichthyology. I just fish for species for fun. Collecting specimens and DNA take lots of organization. I'll also need collaborators with access to equipment and funding to do the analysis and cataloging. Lately, I've been thinking we should get into it scientifically though.

Yewiefish85's picture

Date Joined: 02/01/11

As a fish geek, this is

Sat, 2016-09-03 12:56

As a fish geek, this is absolutely awesome, what I would do to be able to keep some of those species in an aquarium, what size hooks and gear do you use to catch the tetras and the like?

For the tetras (10cm or

Sat, 2016-09-03 13:53

For the tetras (10cm or less), I used #26 hooks or smaller tanago hooks from Japan tied to 1lb to 4lb mono. I used a tenkara rod for most of the trip for the micros, except for the last two days when I had to use my ultralight rod after I lost my tenkara rod.

EL SYD's picture

Date Joined: 16/08/10

Great field report as usual

Sat, 2016-09-03 15:28

Great field report as usual Ken, love your post

Thanks!

Tue, 2016-09-06 01:40

Thanks!