P66 Vs Standard Lowrance 200/50

Hi

Just interested if anyone has swapped a standard lowrance 200/50hz transducer for an Airmar P66 and what if any difference it has made?

I currently have 3 transducers on the transom and space is at a premium, the lowrance tranny is not in the optimum spot I have moved it around as much as I can but its just a bit too far from the keel plus I have a fairly flat hull which makes for more turbulance so I was wondering if a P66 with a bigger surface area may give me a better read at speed 15knots+

cheers

Date Joined: 18/01/12

From reading the Lowrance

Tue, 2015-01-20 07:06

From reading the Lowrance manual i see you can also mount the trans internally if solid glass? 

In theory you should be able to test just putting the trans inside with sufficient water in the bilge to cover it?

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Date Joined: 27/12/06

ali

Tue, 2015-01-20 07:24

Ali Boat Rob

It used to be mounted where I now have a Tm260, the bigger transducer holds bottom nearly all the time at high speed where at the 50/200 was better in that spot but still not as good, just makes me wonder if the bigger surface area of a P66 would make a difference

scuttlebutt's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

I've done the swap.  The P66

Fri, 2015-01-23 08:37

I've done the swap.  The P66 gives you a bit more sensitivity, I reckon it's a worthwhile upgrade.  I don't think the bigger surface area is going to overcome any turbulance issues.  You need clean water flowing onto the face of any transducer for it to read properly.  If anything, with the Lowrance transducers being so small you can mount them a bit deeper without causing massive drag. 

Date Joined: 27/12/06

transducer

Mon, 2015-01-26 08:46

Cheers scuttlebutt, I just swapped my lowrance transducer position with the stucture scan as i dont use the structure that much and I dropped it down pretty low.  I already have bit of a rooster tail from the tm260 so whats a bit more

will see how that goes