NEW Penn Clash II, insane 7.0:1 gear ratio!

New Penn Clash II reels have just hit the shelves and these look and feel top notch! The red high speed models have an impressive 7.0:1 gear ratio

Dont forget to mention that you are a fishwrecked member in-store to recieve 10%OFF!

https://www.facebook.com/southsideboatingandfishing

A small store with a big heart.

Image Upload: 

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

Mon, 2020-06-22 16:45

Not seen them speeds in a spinning reel since the old TSS4s.

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf

Date Joined: 16/09/17

new Penn clash 2

Wed, 2020-06-24 22:56

be careful with the high ratio reels, they only have a very small spindle, that will split if your using to much drag, good luck cheers Don.

Southside boating and fishing's picture

Date Joined: 12/04/19

Good day don. We arn't too

Thu, 2020-06-25 09:12

Good day don. We arn't too sure what you are referring to as there is not a part called a spindle gear. high speed reels feature a larger main gear with more teeth and a pinion gear with less teeth so stregth isn't compromised at all... the only difference between the high and lowspeeds is the amount of teeth on the gears, which gives the low speed more torque where it lacks in speed. 

There may have been reels in the past which featured high gear ratios which could have caused a lack in strength(mainly due to materials and tech of the gears they used) but these days the materials and technology used is quite advanced.

cheers. 

New Penn Clash 11

Thu, 2020-06-25 10:08

Hi South Side, the higher, the gear ratio, the faster the gocs are spinning, the teeth tend to ware farster, & to much drag, will grind them away even more, with the overhead reels, I dont want to mention any reel names, but once you get over 5.1 ratio, then the pinions get really small, with to much strain, the top of the pinion snaps of, nothing worse when you have a good fish on, and you have to wind it in by hand, most fish are worth around $50/Kg, so your loosing money there, without the messing around, dismantling reels & ordering part, good luck stay safe, cheers Don.

Good day don yes we agree

Thu, 2020-06-25 12:37

Good day Don. Your comments

Thu, 2020-06-25 12:55

Good day Don. Your comments are helpful and respected. The high speed retrieve is designed to give different lures the required action without straining the reel. The higher ratios are achieved by altering the gear gear ratios without compromising the integrity of the reel. The drags on these reels are more than adequate for the line/braid strength. These reels are designed to work hard and last long. Penn has always worked hard at innovation and only release a product line once it has been tested in the field. The Clash 2 range is truely a nice piece of equipment and we now extend an invitation for you to visit our store and actually try one of these reels out. In fact we are so confident of the product that we will let you take one for a workout in the field. We look forward to meeting you. Cheers Justin Southside

Date Joined: 17/06/10

You can’t get a better offer than that

Thu, 2020-06-25 19:20

I think that is a most generous offer from Southside as they say try before you buy and Southside are inviting you to do just that. 

Ne Penn clash 11

Thu, 2020-06-25 20:26

Thanks justin, for your very fair offer, I respect that,, I use lower ratio reels, & let my rod do most of the jigging, I dont like to faster retrieve, as I have lost fish that way, steady steady, is the way to go, Justin I restore old reels, and I like to fish with reels holding 450 to 500 m of line, then if I get snagged, I let plenty of line out till the fish get me of the reef, instead of pulling in the drift anchor, starting the motor & so on, I only use rough old sound reels, the fancy reels I place in my display cabinet, stay safe keep well, cheers Don.

rob90's picture

Date Joined: 06/02/13

I grabbed one of these a few

Fri, 2020-06-26 06:30

I grabbed one of these a few weeks back, they feel solid as f@%#k to fish with and are a really good deal, the boys down there looked affter me well too, great reel and great shop. Penn definitely has come a long way.

Hi my name is rob............. and I'm a........... fishaholic