Gnaraloo trip 2017

Hey guys Im after a bit of information. I Have been going to steeppoint for over 12 years now but after next years trip in april i have also decided to take my old man and a mate to Gnaraloo for 6 nights in May.Ive never fished there before so just wondering a little bit of advice on were to head .We have a 6 mtr Ali boat  and have a stone cabin booked for those dates.Any help would be great regards Brendan

Brendan Franklin

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

6m ali is a big boat for up

Mon, 2016-09-05 15:55

6m ali is a big boat for up there. hope you have a suitable 4WD or 2 to get in and out. There are moorings up there as well, so could look at getting one of these if you have not done so already. Make sure you have tow ropes and other recovery gear...

Beach when we were up there in June was hard enough but did see some bigger boats struggle.

Weather....the whole time we were there it was shit and to be honest almost every fishing report this year from there...the weather was shit.

Fishing wise, fantastic, eventho i ragged the joint because of the weather, fishing wise was great. Getting reds within a couple mile of shore doesnt happen in many places.

Tuna, they were like flies.. one school we nailed 5 different species and the school would have been the size of 2 football fields.

Dont know what the weather is like in May, but all the people who were up there who regularily go said dont go north...not because of the fishing but because of the wind, it howls from the south and you need to come back into it.

If the swell is up you can still get out in anything under 3 3.5m just watch the shallower lumps in the bay, or watch others go out. Some waves will break almost right accross, but given your boat you can usually shoot in between them 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Yep Bodie is on the money

Mon, 2016-09-05 19:47

Yep Bodie is on the money there, May is always a bit touch and go but never say never. let's just hope we have a better weather pattern next year and can string 3 or more days together. Beach wise you will deffinitely need some good tracks to get your boat in and out especially on the lower tides.

Love the West!

pelagicyachts's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/11

launching at the bay there

Tue, 2016-09-06 08:23

launching at the bay there used to be some steel grates near the carpark exit onto the beach - ask someone on here if they are still there?
If they are not - take some up with you - I have launched a 23 foot glass boat there and we had no problems using the tracks. As said above - depending on the tides you may need to get your car wet - we had our troopy in back bumper deep to get the boat in some days (although I did have a bunk trailer not roller)- extendable drawbar helps or I have seen guys use a drop down spare (on a hub) on the front of the trailer and tow it out onto the beach

Bodie's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/07

this is how we did ours with

Tue, 2016-09-06 20:44

this is how we did ours with the drop down wheel and pushed it in and pulled out with a rope, not sure how you would go pushing that sized boat in.

Yes the grates, doors, rubber mats etc all still on the beach.