Garmin 5012 Issues

G'day Lads,

I'm just chasing some advice on an issue I have with my pride and joy.

I have recently purchased my dream boat a Haines Hunter 602F fitted out with a Garmin 5012 hooked up to an 1kw Airmar B164-20 thru hull transducer.

Now here is the issue, in shallow water up 10-15mtrs the sounder is working sensationally as you would expect from the 1kw transducer travelling at 20 plus knots but as soon as you head in to 20-30mtrs bottom clarity is what you would expect if you were in 100mtrs with a 600 watt transducer.

Now your probably all saying adjust the gain etc and all that other stuff but I have tried but maybe im missing something simple on the sounder its self I'm not sure?

My worst fear is that the installers haven't installed the Airmar correctly with the 20 degree dead rise compensation not being vertical and shooting off at about 40 plus degrees! Surely they couldn't stuff that up?

I have thought about bubbles running over the transducer but even when I'm travelling at trolling speed bottom quality is shite, I'm hoping someone out there has a similar setup that can offer some advice?

Other wise my pride and joy will have to head back to the dealer and some major removal issues of the Airmar in a glass hull. Sigh!

Cheers in advance for any advice Jerro

I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Date Joined: 02/01/12

Have you checked that the

Wed, 2013-03-13 19:37

Have you checked that the arrow marking on the transducer points to the keel as its meant to

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Make sure they have set the

Wed, 2013-03-13 20:08

Make sure they have set the right transducer in the Garmin setup menu. If wrong, it could default to min power output. That tranny should be excellent. What sounder module do you have the GSD-22 or 24. 24 is MUCH better.......

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

what are you running at when

Wed, 2013-03-13 21:06

you are having the trouble?  50 or 200 kHz

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

Jerro's picture

Date Joined: 15/12/11

Fri, 2013-03-15 17:41

Hey Lads,

Short Fuse, I haven't actually seen an arrow on the outside flush mount, there is however a white dot that is closest to the keel but I thought that was the temperature sensor? I also believe that inside in the hull mount there is also an indicator but I wont be able to check until I finish my swing. It will also be difficult due to the location, I think i will need one of those little mechanic mirrors on a little telescopic extension.

JF I will have to check cobba I'm not 100% sure but the the whole setup was the one recommended by Haines.

Outdoinit, 200 khz is shit even 50 khz seems to be very average as well I just dont know. I have the luxury of hooking up the 600w Airmar transom mount that they left on after the 1kw was installed.

I think it will have to be a matter of narrowing down, crossing off all the possibilities.

I cant wait for for my next break!

Thanks for all your replies much appreciated! enjoy your weekend and tight lines.

Jerro

I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Date Joined: 02/01/12

Hi JerroThat arrow I refered

Fri, 2013-03-15 21:35

Hi Jerro

That arrow I refered to will be inside the hull on the top of the black epoxy, and yes that other dot you can see from the outside is the temp pickup. On the top will also have the offset printed on it as well, so it may pay double check that at the same time to be sure it matches the deadrise.

Cheers Michael

Date Joined: 10/11/09

The top of the transducer is

Mon, 2013-04-15 14:08

The top of the transducer is marked for which side needs to be lined up with the keel.

Chivers's picture

Date Joined: 23/10/12

Hi Jerro,I'm guessing the

Mon, 2013-04-15 20:39

Hi Jerro,

I'm guessing the boat ia a Haines Signature being a 602F. One of my best mates had the previous 600F and we had a real Challenge getting transducer performance at speed. Shifted the transducer all over the transom and ended up with an Airmar B60 (600w version of the B164) fitted smack in the middle of the keel which is quite wide and flat near the transom on some of the signatures. This transducer did not have a tilted element so orientation was not an issue. I had a theory that the flat keel or planing plank threw off a lot of dirty water which is the biggest obstacle to overcome! If it works really well at rest then this is likely an issue. Definitely check the orientation though!

Cheers,

Luke

Chivers Marine
31 Port Kembla Drive
Bibra Lake, WA 6163

Opening Hours

Mon to Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm
Sat 8:00am to 12:00pm
Sunday Closed