Furuno 588 TM260

Hey guy's,

Just got a new rig (Caribbean reef runner) with a 588 and TM260 installed by dealer. Seems to lose ground after around 10knts. The tranny install looks to be quite low (approx. 1 - 2cm below hull and angled down a fair way at the rear. No shim wedges were installed between bracket and transom and Im thinking this may be an issue as transom is 21 degrees so would assume at least 2, possibly 3 should have been installed. Added to this, it may possibly be mounted to close to the outboard?? Does anyone have any experience or pics of a TM260 mounted to their reef runner they can put up?
Sounder reading works great under 10knts but would at least like to get 20 - 25knt reading. Happy to fiddle around with positioning just not sure where to start!

Also looking for info on how you have your 588 set up and fine tuned? I mainly fish in 40 - 60m for demersals.

Cheers

Image Upload: 

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

lay a long straight edge

Tue, 2017-10-10 10:07

lay a long straight edge along the hull on the inside of the transducer.  I expect the rear of the transducer needs to be pushed a bit lower, so the signal fires slightly forward of the boat 

Gonad Man's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/13

Thanks for that feral. Have

Tue, 2017-10-10 10:30

Thanks for that feral. Have done that already and the rear is sitting about 15mm lower than the front. Don't know if the tranny can be installed too deep but the inside edge of the transducer is sitting approx 10mm lower than the hull also. Would think clean water wouldn't be an issue?? There are no strikes forward of the tranny either.

z00m's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/14

Turbulence

Tue, 2017-10-10 11:16

You're on the right track thinking it is turbulence given it works well under 10 knots and then when the boat starts to get up on top of the water there is some turbulence. Have a look forward of the transducer further up the hull. Is there a strake that ends about a third of the way forward?

I have a Caribbean Crusader which is an ancestor of your reefy and the transducer (garmin) works a lot better when the inside edge is level with the hull. I also used a splash guard to prevent water from finding a path over the transducer between the hull and the bracket. 

It's a shame your trans is mounted directly to the transom and not to a sacrificial piece of material as you will swiss cheese the hull trying to get it right. It's not too late as you can use the existing holes to mount your piece of material and then make new holes in the material instead of the hull.

Gonad Man's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/13

Cheers Zoom, definitely no

Tue, 2017-10-10 12:13

Cheers Zoom, definitely no strake in front of the trans.

Will look at mounting a sacrificial plate once all other options have been exhausted. There is a little adjustment for up/down with the current bracket and angle can be changed with shims. Hopefully it can be sorted with minor changes??

Date Joined: 24/03/13

Tranny

Wed, 2017-10-11 07:25

I have sent you a few pics in a PM

Mick

Date Joined: 04/06/18

TM260

Mon, 2021-04-19 20:24

G'day Lads

im having the same problem on my reefy any pics that might be able to help me with positioning 

cheers

crowie's picture

Date Joined: 16/11/14

TD Depth

Tue, 2022-09-20 13:14

I just installed my TM260 and im getting good readings @ 20knots.

Measurements of my plcement

Transducer depth below hull at front side - 23mm

Transducer depth below hull at rear - 28mm 

Its placed in a small gap between the salt water intake for the deck wash and the lifting strakes below the hull. Past 20 knots the salt water pickup throws bubbles and ruins my readings a bit but still get botton echos up to 27 knots. 

Date Joined: 05/05/06

Mines pretty deep in the

Tue, 2022-09-20 15:49

Mines pretty deep in the water but get readings clear at 30knots. Just had to put a spray deflector on. I reckon you need shims, and lower the unit abit. The shims will get the rear pointing down a bit better.  I got my missus to drive and I looked for clear water at the back of the boat and got it right first time! 

Bend over