Barra Trip Report 2nd, 3rd and 4th Nov 2007

Well Mick and I headed out on Friday afternoon, boat fully loaded with all our food, drinks, fishing gear, camping gear etc... destination; Cossack. We arrived and launched the boat. Lines went out for our first trolling run. It wasn't long before my RMG was nailed, lined peeled off and headed straight for a snag... realising it could be the first barra of the trip I thumbed the spool and put quite a load on the rod to keep him away. Unfortunately this put too much stress on my new Live Fibre baitcaster and it snapped in two! After a bit of cursing it was time to retrieve the fish... turned out to be only a cod anyway.

After that fiasco Mick dropped me at the ramp and I drove back to Karratha to grab a spare baitcasting rod. When I got back it was dark. Mick had been livebaiting a spot where we have picked up a lot of barra in the past with only one decent run and a little shark. We headed down the creek to fish another spot. Livies went out and it was time to sit down and have a beer. After about half an hour I got a wiked run but it stopped, so I waited for a couple of minutes, thinking he'd dropped the bait. I decided wind in my line thinking I'd been baited. There was heaps of slack but once I wound it in the rod loaded up and the first barra of the trip erupupted out of the water. He'd been just sitting on it for about 2 minutes!

Mick fumbled around getting the landing net and I let him run so as not to get him to the boat before Mick was ready with the net. On about the third good run his rakers sliced through my 60lb leader like butter. First fish for the trip, dropped. Re-rigged, baits out again.

Our second hit came soon after, this time on micks rod. His livie was swimming near the surface and we got a nice boof right near the boat. There was no hookup however, his bait was sucked right off the hook. We fished and drank for a bit longer before retiring for bed with a couple of good mullet out. We gad a couple of good hookups during the night but turned out to be sharks.

The following morning we got up before dark, packed up the sleeping gear and made a nice coffee. We headed off to our new destination, quite a bit further up the coast. After a nice ride up there we were delighted to find out there was only two other boats in this river. First things first we went to catch some livies.

Nice Cast

It wasn't easy but we still managed to get quite a few. We caught as many as we could so we wouldn't have to worry about it for most of the day. Mick caught a massive muddy in his net which was quite interesting.

After catching mullet we went to a nice trolling stretch to see if we could pick up any fish on the last few hours of the run-out tide. Lines went out and we started trolling. It wasn't long before Micks classic got inhaled. Instantaneously there was a nice boil on the surface so we called it for a good barra but as he played the fish a little longer we realised it was a nice thready. I netted the fish and we put him on the brag mat. At a little over 100cm it was a nice fish. A couple of quick photos and he was released.

Mick hooked up to the meter thready

Micks Thready

The pose

... and the release shot

A couple of trolling runs later Mick hooked up again (his classic +10 elton john was really doing the damage). This time the fish stayed low and didn't jump for the entire duration. I called it for another thready, mick was optimistic and called barra. It surfaced boatside and we were happy to realise it was infact a nice barra. I netted it and we had the first barra for the trip on the deck. At 80cm it was a good barra, nice and fat. A couple of quick snaps and he was released.

Micks 80cm barra

Releasing the first barra of the trip

About 10-15mins later Mick had yet again, another hookup on a solid barra. After a nice tussle we had the second barra of the trip on the brag mat. A bit smaller this time at 74cm but a good fish nontheless. A couple of quick photos and then a good release.

Micks 74cm barra

Only a short time passed before my RMG got snaffled, line peeled off my Calcutta TE but it dropped it before it even had a chance to jump. Damnit, my second dropped barra for the trip. Lines went out again and we continued trolling.

Mick hooked up again and this time landed a 72cm barra and then I had another hookup. This time he jumped and I managed to get him most of the way in before I dropped another barra... third dropped fish so far :(

Micks 72cm Barra

Things went quiet towards the bottom of the tide and so concluded an awesome trolling session, 3 barra at 80cm, 74cm, and 72cm respectively and a 100cm threadfin plus a couple of dropped fish each. We decided to live bait for a bit until the tide started flooding back in, at which point we would start trolling again.

After only about 3 minutes my mullet was inhaled but my bail arm was open and I struggled getting it closed with the line peeling off the spool at a great rate of knots. When I finally got it closed the fish had dropped the bait... my fourth dropped fish but due to angler error this time rather than 'bad luck'..

The next fish was less than a minute after I re-baited. This time I had a real nice solid hook up and the fish took off on a blinding run down the creek. I slowly worked him towards the boat, being careful not to lose him. Mick had the net ready and was just about to net him when a small shake of the head sent my hook flying out of his gob. By this stage I was getting extremely frustrated but I tried to keep cool to avoid making mistakes on other fish.

Mick decided to chuck out a monster mullet which quickly got inhaled. He let it run for ages before engaging the drag but as soon as he did so it dropped the bait. Estimated to be a pretty good barra.

Well after going through most of our bait the tide started to come in so we started our afternoon trolling session. Mick picked up another barra on the classic. This time at 84cm it was the biggest fish for the trip, and the fourth barra captured so far. We cut the afternoon trolling session short to try and get some more bait for night live baiting before the tide came in too far.

The big boy, you can see a recent wound. We suspected a Noha had a go at him.

Mick holding his 84cm baz

.... and then releasing our fourth for the trip

Bait was scattered throughout this pool we were catching them from. It was hard work but soon enough we had some cracker mullet to use that evening. We moved up the creek to find a sheltered spot for dinner and perhaps a little Mangrove Jack fishing on the high.

We had quite a few dead baits which we filleted up for strip baits. We found an average looking snag and both casted in. Within seconds I was on and I wrestled a 39cm jack out of the snag. I tagged and realeased the fish and then got smoked a few times before we decided to have dinner.

After dinner we moved back to the spot where we were trolling during the day to get some barra on livies. Unfortunatley it was blowiung pretty hard and we copped a bit of a beating so we decided to move out towards the mouth in search of other good barra water that was a bit more sheltered.

We pulled up, dropped anchor and threw our livies out. It didn't take long before mick was on. We got real excited but it turned out to be a shark. We proceeded to catch a few more sharks and then it quietened off towards the bottom of the tide. We decided we'd hit the sack and see what happens. I'd barely fallen asleep when I heard the ratchett on micks rod scream. We both bolted up and mick proceeded to fight the fish while I went for the landing net. I suspected another shark but you can never be certain so I remained optimistic. When he brought it boatside we saw our fifth barra of the trip. I netted it and brought it aboard, 83cm. A couple of quick pics and he was released.

Micks fifth, 83cm

About 5 minutes later my rod doubled over and the drag screamed. I heard splashes in the darkness so I was confident it was a barra. I fished him really carefully, desperate to finally land one for the trip. I got him boatside and Mick did a nice job netting him. What an awesome feeling, finally got my first for the trip.

Finally landed one, my first and 82.5cm

My 82.5cm barra on the brag mat, tagged and released

Soon after, my monster mullet got inhaled. Mick got the torch on him straight away and we saw a monster barra jump. It was probably the biggest barra I've seen in the pilbara, well over a meter in length. He screamed off taking a HUGE amount of line with several jumps in between. I gave him some more curry by increasing the drag. After a bit more of a tussle with me barely getting a few turns on the handle his rakers sliced through my 80lb leader. SPEWING! such a massive barra, would have been awesome to land it!

It went quiet after that and we finally got to sleep. The following morning we awoke bright and early to troll the run-out. Mick dropped one barra early in the morning, then we decided to head home while the weather was still good. Had an awesome trip home with great conditions, nice and sunny with barely a breath of wind.

Gotta love the Pilbara!

SPESS's picture

Date Joined: 29/12/06

Good report so far

Wed, 2007-11-07 10:35

Good report so far mate.....wheres the rest?lol. U gotta hate braken rods hey?

Keep it tight, reeeeeeel tight!

*******RECFISH MEMBER*******

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

having probs with the

Wed, 2007-11-07 11:27

having probs with the computer at home Spess so I just jump on a TAFE whenever I can and add a little to the report.

-----------------
Jay Burgess
jayburgess_14@hotmail.com

SPESS's picture

Date Joined: 29/12/06

Na thats great mate! Awsome

Wed, 2007-11-07 12:08

Na thats great mate! Awsome photos and some great fish too boot! Well done on another great report Jay. Top stuff.

Keep it tight, reeeeeeel tight!

*******RECFISH MEMBER*******

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Luck

Wed, 2007-11-07 12:28

Did you end up having any luck Jay? I had one of those trips out on Monday. Sensational conditions outside Tantabiddi, but everything went wrong. Had a billie sit on the teaser for 20 seconds and then billwack my far corner without a hookup, he decided he didn't like plastic after that and disappeared. I then went in close and jigged and got well and truly stitched up. Then went in to the back of the reef and threw some slices around where getting buried was the order of things. Wasn't happy about the outcome, yet happy to know the fish were there.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

jay_burgess's picture

yeah mate I ended up having

Wed, 2007-11-07 12:50

yeah mate I ended up having some luck... there's more to come I'll keep adding to this report.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

jay_burgess's picture

well guys all the pics are

Thu, 2007-11-08 19:32

well guys all the pics are up and been added to the report... I hope you enjoy them. I've still got some text to add from the evening session so stay tuned if you're interested. I'll be adding it tomorrow

-----------------
Jay Burgess

tailor marc's picture

Date Joined: 27/09/06

Great report Jay!!! Im

Thu, 2007-11-08 19:40

Great report Jay!!!

Im gettin so anxious to get there i will give my left nut to get a 80+cm barra!!!

My photography pictures... http://westernhorizonsmedia.wordpress.com/

jay_burgess's picture

It's really started to fire

Thu, 2007-11-08 19:58

It's really started to fire here now mate. I think as of the last set of neaps in October is when the season really kicked off this year and I started hearing of good, consistent catches coming in.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

Date Joined: 12/08/07

I'll be there at the end of

Fri, 2007-11-09 05:11

I'll be there at the end of November Jay.
Please leave some for me? :)

My missus got a teaching appointment at Karratha SHS, so we've got a house lined up starting next week.

Unfortunately I don't leave the UK for another couple of weeks yet, though she's already in Karratha.

@Tailor Marc...don't make promises you can't keep buddy.
I'm sure your left nut would look good on Jay's mantle :)
Or we could turn it in to a Fishwrecked Trophy.

Cheers,
Dan.

jay_burgess's picture

Ok finally got the report

Fri, 2007-11-09 09:36

Ok finally got the report finished guys.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Sensational

Fri, 2007-11-09 11:41

Top pics and read Jay, bit of bad luck you didn't get into a few more, but still looks like a nice way to get away from it all.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

jay_burgess's picture

too right Adam, next trip

Fri, 2007-11-09 12:28

too right Adam, next trip should be even better again.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

Andy Mac's picture

Date Joined: 03/02/06

Well done Jay

Fri, 2007-11-09 13:58

Another great report.

I think that deserves to go under one of the Collumns Adam. Or have they all been removed? What do you think?

Cheers

Andy Mac

Cheers

Andy Mac (Fishwrecked Reeltime Editor & Forum Moderator)

Youngest member of the Fishwrecked Old Farts Club

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

All round effort

Fri, 2007-11-09 14:00

That's good fishing, good photography and good reporting. Onya Jay.

John

I head a little FURTHER NORTH each year,
Leave the cities behind, out of sight of mind,

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Andy's picture

Date Joined: 08/10/05

great report, good

Fri, 2007-11-09 14:50

great report, good read.

Cheers Scottie

SamC's picture

Date Joined: 30/08/06

Awesome!

Fri, 2007-11-09 15:00

great report jay! pitty about the dropped fish mate..always next time

cheers
sam

Cheers,

Sam

tailor marc's picture

Date Joined: 27/09/06

DTR :  HAHAHA i have plenty

Fri, 2007-11-09 15:53

DTR :  HAHAHA i have plenty of nut to spare lol ;)

My photography pictures... http://westernhorizonsmedia.wordpress.com/

jay_burgess's picture

thanks for the support guys!

Fri, 2007-11-09 23:20

thanks for the support guys! glad you liked the report.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

jay_burgess's picture

thanks guys, an article will

Sat, 2007-11-10 18:52

thanks guys, an article will definately be on the cards after a couple more good trips. Need to use a higher res camera for the pics though..

-----------------

Jay Burgess

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

good stuff jay, leave is

Sat, 2007-11-10 19:22

good stuff jay, leave is approved for the 3 4 5 of dec, long trip on the cards mate.  Got the 12.1 meg camera now and my SLR time for a mag report i feel.  Already started writing the beginnings of it, just need some action now.

jay_burgess's picture

wouldn't mind a read of what

Sat, 2007-11-10 20:05

wouldn't mind a read of what you've written so far, see what it's like.

Will get my leave in soon, can't wait, this trip should be a cracker.

-----------------
Jay Burgess

scuttlebutt's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

Nice work Jay, Jeez you had

Sun, 2007-11-11 06:31

Nice work Jay, Jeez you had some shocking luck but at least you didn't miss out completely.  Great pics!

steve

From Cairns GBR

Goatch's picture

Date Joined: 03/07/07

Awesome report

Sun, 2007-11-11 07:33

Jay do you ever have this feeling that you may have missed your calling , Starling should be watching over his shoulder me thinks, keep up the awesome work and I look forward to having a fish with you at some time , which workshop are you based in .

Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Just one more cast , honest !!!