588 install

Gday All,

The 588 sounder finally arrive and would like to give the install a crack. If Im just intending to use it as a stand alone sounder and not  network it is it just a matter of:

1. taking the red and blacked wires (fused) and taking them to the boats fuse board and leaving the other 8 wires out?

2. Whats the go with the ground wire at the back of the unit? Is this needed  as it is earthed already with the black wire.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Barra

Cheers
BarraSlayer

Image Upload: 

BarraSlayer's picture

Date Joined: 14/04/14

2. Is the second photo i.e.

Sat, 2016-04-30 10:42

2. Is the second photo i.e. the screw at the back of the sounder for connecting an o terminal fitting

Cheers
BarraSlayer

Tim's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/06

2 wires

Sat, 2016-04-30 11:44

Just go with the red and black it is all you will need

if you have a plotter on board it is definately worth connecting up the nmea wires so you can mark fish edges on the sounder 

Date Joined: 28/07/11

What Tim said. Dont worry

Sat, 2016-04-30 11:56

What Tim said. Dont worry about grounding or that screw on the back.

bouttime's picture

Date Joined: 27/07/06

Red to positive and black to

Sat, 2016-04-30 12:57

Red to positive and black to negative and your all done

BarraSlayer's picture

Thanks

Mon, 2016-05-02 20:05

Thanks for the help guys... rocked up on Friday, install sat and using it on sun.

Didn't like the HDS much and the difference is huge. Moved the transducers to the opposite side with the structure scan. Things that look like not much are heaps more defined on the furuno. Still will keep the sounder as can just mark points and track with it without networking.

Next project is a motorguide electric motor to navigate and spot lock on fish schools with the lowrance when then come up difting.

Cheers
BarraSlayer

BarraSlayer's picture

Hi guys,Just having an issue

Tue, 2016-06-28 15:32

Hi guys,

Just having an issue with the furuno powering down intermittently when turn the ignition on the engine. Doesnt do it all the time. Does this happen to anyone else?  Thinking the power drain from the cranking on the  battery?

Also have gme radio that stops when i turn the key, dont think it goes off but need to touch the tune frequency (it doesnt change though) to get it to start playing. The usb function works fine.

Cheers

BS

Cheers
BarraSlayer

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Could be a voltage drop. Is

Tue, 2016-06-28 15:59

Could be a voltage drop. Is the battery on the way out?

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

BarraSlayer's picture

Hope not only a year old.

Tue, 2016-06-28 16:02

Hope not only a year old. Its 2x sea master 800mca 640cca 140rc minutes

Cheers
BarraSlayer

Date Joined: 07/08/13

volt drop

Tue, 2016-06-28 16:38

hey mate you have the right idea if you chuck a meter across your battery when you turn the key you will see the volts drop down as its cranking. The furunos are very sensitive to the volt drop and it reboots, I found a few people with the same problem. I had a 585 on my old boat that did exactly the same thing and changed it to run off its own battery and it was good as gold.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

As an aside you may as well

Tue, 2016-06-28 18:57

As an aside you may as well connect you Lowrance to your Furuno to give you the ability to mark spots on the Furuno. You never know when a juicy piece of ground is going to show up on the Furuno that you can mark and manually input to go checkout another day

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Date Joined: 12/07/16

Furuno to GPS networking

Tue, 2016-08-02 08:48

Hey guys,

Newbie on the block here, reading about the furuno networking is hard - I found the same.

I found this box at Sydney boat show last week at Hunts Marine stand that makes my Furuno button work sweet on my Lowrance. its called MARKFISH. Aussie invention they said.

Mark button is good to go now!

Life's pretty straight with out the bends.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Furunos are (or were)

Tue, 2016-06-28 19:41

Furunos are (or were) notoriously difficult to network to other brands as the data is in a slightly different format even though it is supposed to be NMEA.
May have changed on the newer ones?

Now that you have Furuno, start using Bottom Lock

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Date Joined: 20/01/14

Furunos are (or were)

Thu, 2016-06-30 21:36

Furunos are (or were) notoriously difficult to network to other brands as the data is in a slightly different format even though it is supposed to be NMEA.
May have changed on the newer ones?

A 587 to a Humminbird plotter works OK for me.

BarraSlayer's picture

Thank guys, will check the

Tue, 2016-06-28 21:12

Thanks guys, will check the multimeter whem cranking. Will fit a volt meter in the spare cigarette lighter hole.

I have started using HF Zoom with better results. How do you get bottom lock up and what is the difference?

Im going to network it together. I Installed a motorguide eleccy that I tested on the weekend (added phot) and have yet to get the gateway kit to link to the sounder i.e. mark a school and then hit spot lock anchor. The scroll back function on the lowrance is awesome and you can mark it on the map and autopilot back. When I do that will wire the furuno in so I can use the lowrance for charts, autopilot with the eleccy and structure scan and then use the furuno as a dedicated sounder.

Impressed with the eleccy.. on weekend held a spot in 15knot winds. Last photo is 2.5 hours on the same spot zoomed in as far as plotter goes

Cheers
BarraSlayer

just dhu it's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/09

Volt drop

Tue, 2016-06-28 21:22

Barra mate your problem is volt drop from the battery to your dash fuse or switch panel , you may have good , larger battery's but unfortunately the boat company's only put in a cable suitable to run dash and Nav lights from the forward fuse panel , your answer is to run a larger size cable from the battery's through to your sounds only or the fuse panel.

12 volts does not run very far and is subject to major loses over short distances ,  bigger cable will sort your dropping out issues  

Vinesh87's picture

Date Joined: 02/04/11

Check with a multi for vd

Wed, 2016-06-29 07:17

Check with a multi for vd first. On my last boat my raymarine would drop out no matter what.2 x optima blues

Massive cable, no vd, but the merc was dropping the voltage so much when it started. No other instrument was affected not even another raymarine unit haha. Isolated battery supply was the answer unfortunately.

In saying all this my 588 is yet to drop out. But i run a pretty serious batterry system now.

What motor do you have?

BarraSlayer's picture

140 suzuki

Wed, 2016-06-29 08:50

140 suzuki

Cheers
BarraSlayer

Vinesh87's picture

Shouldn't draw too much, my

Wed, 2016-06-29 11:25

Shouldn't draw too much, my 300 doesn't drop the 588 out, so maybe it is a cable sizing issue. Pretty easy to check

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Have heard of guys setting

Wed, 2016-06-29 09:45

Have heard of guys setting up capacitor banks but it's a whole lot of mucking around. Furuno and raymarine seem particularly sensitive to volt drop. My batteries and power supply is good but my diesel just draws too much on start up.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Vinesh87's picture

Yeh inboards seem to be the

Wed, 2016-06-29 11:24

Yeh inboards seem to be the worst!

Date Joined: 29/10/12

Bar Crusher?

Sun, 2016-07-03 15:20

Hey mate, going by your pics it looks like a barcrusher? I thought that the cables they use would be of a decent guage. I have a barcrusher and have just installed a 588 also plus I have a Raymarine unit as well and I don't have any problems. You could always give Barcrusher a call and ask to speak to Phil Noblett who is pretty swtiched on with the technical side.

Kuzi.

Date Joined: 04/09/14

Hey mate assuming you have

Mon, 2016-07-11 19:13

Hey mate assuming you have dual battery set up the house battery shouldn't be affected when cranking the engine if set up properly, I've got a blue sea isolater  switch and relay just turn the switch to the first position it isolates the 2 batteries when cranking and when not charging and automatically combines both when charging I also have a negative bus bar which all negative Leeds go to , I also run a Suzuki 140 and have no trouble at all with 588 and 2 Garmin touch screens dropping out , I can put you onto the fellow that I bought this stuff from if you like

BarraSlayer's picture

Thanks Guys

Thu, 2016-07-14 20:47

Got a PM from a fellow BC owner and as with him it was the trim tab when you turn the igition and they self calibrate must be creating voltage drop. If I wait for it to finish and then crank it over doesnt happen as much. Gets worse after a seesion with the lights, stereo and sounder on.

Also after getting my head in and looling at the battey switch I was only runing 1 or 2... not both

Thanks

Cheers
BarraSlayer

BarraSlayer's picture

Thanks Guys

Thu, 2016-07-14 20:47

Got a PM from a fellow BC owner and as with him it was the trim tab when you turn the igition and they self calibrate must be creating voltage drop. If I wait for it to finish and then crank it over doesnt happen as much. Gets worse after a seesion with the lights, stereo and sounder on.

Also after getting my head in and looling at the battey switch I was only runing 1 or 2... not both

Thanks

Cheers
BarraSlayer