Split keel 519 sea runner

Hi lads 

have found 2007 519 sea runner in trailer with a 90 merc with 350 hours, for 15k neg!!

The only catch is, is that it has been split and repaired!

He reakons that it doesn't take any water, but the repair job doesn't look all that flash, do u think it's just to much trouble? He said it is insured for market value of 30k so would be good if was gonna split again! 

Is a place were u can check for boat write offs?

or anyone know how much it would cost to reweld?

cheers in advance 

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 04/04/13

wouldn't go there

Sun, 2014-11-23 14:03

would always be in the back of your mind esp if you had kids

On board or in dodgy conditions

Date Joined: 12/06/13

Stay away

Sun, 2014-11-23 14:24

Same thing happened to my tinnie a few years ago. Had it welded along the existing weld as pictured

and split another 3 times before trading it for a new one.

Date Joined: 03/06/12

Cheers lads! maybe I just

Sun, 2014-11-23 14:28

Cheers lads!

maybe I just needed to hear it from someone else!

quadfisher's picture

Date Joined: 28/09/10

H.a.z

Sun, 2014-11-23 15:36

Or heat effected zone , surrounding all welds, that must have a good one now with all those runs in a small area.

not sure the constent pounding offshore would work harden a alloy , but Id say somewhat, as the hull must flex slighty each time it impacts.

The Affect of Arc Welding on the Heat Affected Zone

In order to make a welded joint in an aluminum structure using the arc welding process, the base material must be melted. During the melting process, heat is transferred through conduction into the base material adjacent to the weld.  Typically the completed weldment can be divided into three distinct areas: the weld metal, the heat affected zone adjacent to the weld and the base material beyond the HAZ which has been unaffected by the welding operation.  If arc welding on materials which have been strengthened by work hardening or precipitation hardening, because the HAZ will experience cycles of heating and cooling during the welding operation, its properties will change and may be extremely different than that of the original base alloy and the unaffected area of the base material (see fig 1)

quadfisher

Date Joined: 17/06/10

How good are the other welds

Sun, 2014-11-23 17:02

If the keel has cracked just how strong/good are the other welds on the boat if (as most probably) they have been carried out by the same worker

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

No Go

Sun, 2014-11-23 17:06

There is no way I would buy it regardless of the lower price.
If it was still all right then why is he selling it? He has the same thing in mind, when and where is it going to happen again

Date Joined: 26/04/14

yup. how bad are all the

Sun, 2014-11-23 17:08

yup. how bad are all the other welds, that to me is a massive question mark

Date Joined: 26/04/14

seeing this stuff scares me

Sun, 2014-11-23 21:47

seeing this stuff scares me about my boat 

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

My Guess

Sun, 2014-11-23 17:28

My guess is he is one of those who must travel at full speed and has cracked the hull on the process.
all the other welds could still be good but where the keel has been done the metal on each side of the welds is weakened and guaranteed it will crack again.

Matt T's picture

Date Joined: 19/11/07

Insured for $30k market value

Sun, 2014-11-23 21:03

If he's insured it for $30k market value and he can't sell it for $15k then the market value is less than that. An assessor would probably write it off for $5k after seeing the re welds. Stay away from it mate. 

Keep in mind with insurance that $30,000 market value actually means - $30k or market value whichever the lesser. Market value is determined by how much the boat would fetch in the current market - with this boat, he's put it for sale for $15k neg, meaning the market value at best is less than $15k.

Always insure your boats and cars at agreed value, this means both you and the insurer agree on a value in the event of a write off. Also you should ensure that your home is on an accidental damage policy, meaning that if you accidentally break something then you can claim. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Tell him he's dreaming, I

Sun, 2014-11-23 21:44

Tell him he's dreaming, I can see lack of fusion and that ball of crap 3/4 of the way down on the first pic looks like whoever has done the repair hasn't set the welder right and just left it. Being the keel, the most important aspect of the hull I'd have major concerns. 

Love the West!

Paul H's picture

Date Joined: 18/01/07

Wouldn't touch it with a

Mon, 2014-11-24 07:03

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - I'd be worried the problem that caused the split/crack still exists....... (apart from the repair not looking the best).

Youtube Channel  -  FishOnLine Productions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUVNa-ViyGm_FTDSv4Nqzg/videos

Willlo's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/11

Wouldnt look at it

Mon, 2014-11-24 15:25

Wouldnt look at it either,looks like the boat isnt resting on the front roller ,may have something to do with it.

Call Sign - BZ785

Haynes Hunter Prowler CC

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Ouch. Enough said above.

Mon, 2014-11-24 15:32

Ouch. Enough said above.

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Tony's picture

Date Joined: 27/06/12

The most common cause of keel

Thu, 2014-12-04 16:54

The most common cause of keel line cracks on Ali boats is the trailer. 100% of the boats weight should be spread across as many keel rollers as possible, the side skids or rollers only stop it from falling over.
It looks like that trailer hasn't got enough support for the hull.
I wouldn't touch it for 30K.