600 soapies

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/pages/StatementDetails.aspx?listName=StatementsBarnett&StatId=7569

I think the dolphins will have a welcome feast on something other than choppers and that not many will survive am i wrong? tho the memories of my childhood catching soapies on prawn while fishing for bream is something that I wound love to replicate with my future kids and nephew. Thoughts? 

Hi my name is rob............. and I'm a........... fishaholic

choorles's picture

Date Joined: 06/03/12

would love to get into swan

Thu, 2013-07-11 17:03

would love to get into swan river soapies, not sure if this will work, fingers crossed though

tim-o's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/11

Is there really enough food

Thu, 2013-07-11 19:04

Is there really enough food for them in the swan? Maybe thats why the numbers are low......., hope they have been feedin them blowies since birth

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

sunshine's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/09

Media circus -

Thu, 2013-07-11 19:20

I understand that the 600 were released purely as a media stunt - earlier this week there were literally tens of thousands released although the source of my info was non-fishing related - can anyone verify ??

TheJettyRat's picture

Date Joined: 02/03/12

That's a heap of soap.

Thu, 2013-07-11 20:40

That's a heap of soap.

Super peg's picture

Date Joined: 02/09/12

The thing is if these fish

Thu, 2013-07-11 20:48

The thing is if these fish have been reared on pellets for majority of there lives ( expect the fry that require live feeds)

It will take around 2 months  maybe more to get them actively hunting on bait fish,
When we released a bunch of tank reared trout into a dam down south, because they had been swimming there whole lives in a circle tank
Most had to be rereleased as they had beaches themselves ( some took as much as 4 takes at turning right instead if left for once)

May be able to burley them up by throwing handfuls of pebbles into the water, used to work for the trout first couple of weeks after release

The art of fishing consists of casting, winding, trolling and jigging

while freezing, sweating, swatting and swearing.

Date Joined: 23/04/13

Bit more info on the soapies

Sat, 2013-07-13 09:26

The great news this week is the release of some 25 000 mulloway fingerlings. Earlier in the month there were 20 000 released in the Dongara Greenough region in the Mid West region. A further 600 were released in the Swan River (see the press release in A LITTLE BIT EXTRA at the end of these notes. There were also some 3 000 released at the Recfishwest Family Fun Day at Hillarys on the long weekend. Each of these fish have been tagged and if they are recaptured, anglers are asked to contact Recfishwest and advise them of the recapture. Anglers who do catch a tagged fish and report it will receive a Recfishwest T shirt with a recapture motif on it.

Source: http://www.blogs.abc.net.au/wa/2013/07/saturday-breakfast-fishing-report-july-13-2013.html?site=perth&program=720_saturday_breakfast

Super peg's picture

Date Joined: 02/09/12

Awesome news 

Sat, 2013-07-13 09:43

Awesome news 

The art of fishing consists of casting, winding, trolling and jigging

while freezing, sweating, swatting and swearing.

rob90's picture

Date Joined: 06/02/13

more mulloway is always good

Sat, 2013-07-13 10:08

more mulloway is always good news cheers for shedding more light on the topic fellas. Fingers it all works

Hi my name is rob............. and I'm a........... fishaholic