Mercury 90hp 1998 Rev counter connection - 2 stroke, 3 cyl

Hi guys,

Anyone out there know how to set up, and connect a standard Mercury rev counter to the 90hp engine?

I have the manual, and had a look at the wiring diagrams, but they are all a little different.. I had the wire from the CDI unit going to the rev counter, grey I think it was, and it did not work, my manual indicated Yellow/black from the first coil, on plug 1 - the same wire that kills the engine, and I shocked the crap out of myself testing the signal, which seems to be a high voltage AC signal, similar to the plug output??? This did activate the rev counter, on the 3x setting on the rear of the rev counter(for amount of Cylinders, i thought), but when revving the motor, the needle just cruises around the 1000RPM mark, and wont drop off when I turn the ignition off?? The needle stays at 1000RPM with the engine off and only resets to 0 when the ignition is turned on and off again..

Anyone know what the correct color engine wire is to take to the signal of the RPM meter, and the correct setting on the RPM Meter?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Cold Feet