Garmin 4012 combo GPS problem

Hi all,

I've got a Garmin 4012 and the GPS is failing. It will occasionally pick up satellites but keeps dropping out. Runs for a few seconds up to a minute, then drop out for a few seconds but up to hours.

I was told the aerial was busted, so forked out $400. It came on but then died again (as the old one did). Then was told the power cable was stuffed. Replaced that, but nothing.

Now it needs to go to the shop to have the tec's look over it and it'll be about 3 hours ($405 again) to work out hopefully, what the drama is. Maybe...

My concern is $400 for a aerial and anther $405 for a "possible solution" is already $800 out of my pocket that I could put towards another unit. I'll take the aerial back and get $$$ back for that as it wasn't the actual fault. But still down $405 for the tecs to look over what I've already checked.

Before I cry in my weeties and have to look around for possibly another unit, has anyone come across this issue before?

The sounder works fine most of the time. It has "power off" a few times. Ive changed all the cables in the "backbone". It has power but seems to "bump on/off" which leads me to think it's a loose connection. Every connection has been undone and sprayed, checked with a electrical tester and yet nothing as it says it has power. My fear is that it's possibly internal. A new sounder sounds cool but reality is costly and being a flush mount unit, it's a gapping big hole to fix also.

Any help would be great

Thanks