3500kms of heaven!

Well lads, where to start.

I guess the heart break started around 8.00am when we were meant to be heading off to Exxy with the boat packed, car ready and the boys all keen. Then the road updates. The fire was settling in and the road closed. Not a biggy as it's only for 24-48 hours. we'll just chill in Carnarvon. Got the last room and off we went! Problem is once your on the road and reading the weather, your mind does funny things - like thinking about going the LONG WAY AROUND! So this is what we did, chucked a left instead of right adn it was on..... All went pretty well outside of a few locals checking out the boat in Meekatharra and a flooded creek just before the Exxy turnoff (that nearly had us in tears after 23 hour of non stop driving). But we got through and off we go!

Only in Australia can you have a roaring bushfire less than 50 kms from flooding creeks! FFS!

Onto Exxy. What can I say - Mint, then mint, followed by, you guessed it, MINT weather! Poor Simon C wasn't able to join us on this trip so we sent him a morning ramp picture each day so he felt like he was with us anyway

But where the true magic was, is in the fact that for the first time, we got to do things like Peak Island as the START of the day, Black Ledge, Flat Island etc and still come home with a truck load of fuel at 30 knots. Hanging off the black of Black Ledge and casting into small gaps and watching the poppers and stick baits die in seconds is something to remember for a long time.

GT's were on the top of the list and HELLOOOO boys, here they are!

are you paying attention to the water at Black Ledge? YEAH!!! But then back to peak.... but what makes the two below even more impressive is the fact they were both caught in less than 5 meters of water on PE 5. Adam - Photo of the month stuff I think! After all, that is Peak Island looking like a bath tub at tide change of the ocean side 

Only a face a mother could love, and the fish is a bit rough too.

Even did sort trolling around the front of the island and what do you know, DINNER!

But what do lots of people come to Exxy for? We tried that too. Couple of new species hit the boat. Raised three, got two in the boat. Not bad for newbies I think.

Only got the spread back in the water, just pressed the throttle and then this little crazy critter hit the skirt and bounced off into the horizon like a rabbit. Awesome to see!

Moral of this story... find the weather, get there anyway possible. if I put all my best days fishing Exxy into one week, this still beat it. already trying to find time and a way to squeeze in another trip. Might f cost us and extra couple of hundered $$$ and 10 hours of mind numbing driving, but it was soooo worth it.

Top trip this year

Image Upload: 

scottland's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/10

great story hahaha

Wed, 2012-01-18 22:26

where does the long way take you from carnarvon?

i support two teams eagles and whoever is playing the dockers

Buz's picture

Date Joined: 28/08/07

Awesome Trip mate. Good to

Wed, 2012-01-18 22:29

Awesome Trip mate. Good to see you persisted and got to your destination. The conditions look WELL worth it. Bloody ripper GT's and Billfish!!!!!

Oracle's picture

Date Joined: 22/11/10

Through Tom price

Wed, 2012-01-18 22:33

At the end of the brand when you go left to gero, we went right into whoop whoop. 2300 kms non stop dragging the boat. Few people commented that they dont see a lot of boats out there. No wonder. It's a bloody treck!

scottland's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/10

geez mate

Wed, 2012-01-18 22:38

well done is all i can say hahah

i support two teams eagles and whoever is playing the dockers

Date Joined: 20/04/09

Great work lads

Thu, 2012-01-19 06:39

got the reward for putting in the hard yards- what part of the tide did you fish black ledge? We fished it in July last year and it looked the goods but didn't get any action-was even calmer than your pic of it though.

ealzee's picture

Date Joined: 14/11/11

Some solid GT's there! Great

Thu, 2012-01-19 07:20

Some solid GT's there! Great billy too!

kill it??? eat it!!!!

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

much better getting stuck

Thu, 2012-01-19 07:59

much better getting stuck here than not being able to make it. They're some nice GT's, gotta, love this nice summer weather. Worth every kilometre.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

With weather like that - the

Thu, 2012-01-19 08:10

With weather like that - the awesome fish are just a bonus!

Less than 3 months to go till next trip for us - hoping for some of the same :-)

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

aalfred's picture

Date Joined: 13/06/09

Some great fish, and well

Thu, 2012-01-19 08:50

Some great fish, and well done on the billis! Good onya for stickin to it!

grantarctic1's picture

Date Joined: 03/03/11

Congrat's

Thu, 2012-01-19 11:09

Congrat's on getting there guy's, definately worth it in the end. Great report and pictures .

roberta's picture

Date Joined: 08/07/08

Glad you fellas

Thu, 2012-01-19 13:09

didn't have me in the car, going the long way round would have cost you all another 4hrs, hahahah chinese bladder I've got.

Fantastic effort, on my list to do's GT's, never caught one, hopefully end of March on the way to Broome or coming home yahooo

Ginger Tablets Rock