1998 60HP 2 stroke Johnson

Anyone else running an older donk like mine? starts first time runs great, shakes a bit on troll, smokes a bit on startup, get it serviced every year, keeping it until it starts to give trouble, pushing a 4.88 Quinnie.

Mal

Date Joined: 24/11/10

1992 evinrude 70HP

Sat, 2017-11-18 09:28

Mine has been a great motor, reliable, but starting to have some issues that need investigating.

I have found that if i leave the fuel line plugged in when not in use, i get a lot of smoke on start up...so i unplug everytime after i have flushed the motor.

Date Joined: 01/11/16

1998 Mercury 50 that runs

Sat, 2017-11-18 10:51

1998 Mercury 50 that runs like a charm. Got is from a mate who hadn't started it in 3 years and all it took was draining the old fuel, a change of plugs and she fired up. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Date Joined: 08/09/11

60 hp evenrude

Sat, 2017-11-18 17:11

Got serviced by a big company, gear change left loose, finished up with new rings , (rebuild) , rebuilt gearbox, new starter motor, and has sat in the shed for ten years unused. Has power trim ,and all gauges , plus old gearbox(stuffed). was stung $700 for the starter motor. Don't seem right. Any way, I had forgotten about it, as I bought a 60 four stroke whilst waiting for repairs, now you reminded me I will put it in the for sale section. Probably need a new impeller. regards Marrisy.

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

Im running 1995 V4 115HP 2

Sun, 2017-11-19 19:09

Im running 1995 V4 115HP 2 stroke.

Did a complete rebuilt not long after purchasing the boat due the rings gone, found an old article from Johnson with new placement of the tell tail to the top of right hand cyclinder as previous position was allowing an airlock to the top right cylinder giving the head hot spots and cracking rings.

Since the rebuild she has been good, just of late had lost WOT throttle and after trouble shooting the factory manual work back to carbs then fuel pump, I pulled the VRO down to find a shitty diaphragm with a hole, very expensive to replace or repair so went the direct aftermarket fuel pump and pre-mix.....Phuk what a difference!! first run in it today, the smoother idle, running and power was awsome compared to old. 

Should have done it sooner, but great easy to work on motor i think. 

scubafish's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/12

Twostroke

Sun, 2017-11-19 19:52

should always run the fuel out on wash down ,disconnect the fuel line and let it run dry (with the muffs on and water running) then turn key off.Smokes because the fuel evaporates off in system and just leaves oil in system when left for a few days. If you are going to store it for a while remove the plugs before first start up and squirt some oil in the cylinders and turn the motor over a few times without the plugs in then return (clean) plugs and fire up.

Never run just fuel always 50/1 mix.overmix and it will smoke under mix and damage will occur.

http://img.gg/BQ91Sys

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

When I bought the Dominator

Mon, 2017-11-20 07:33

it had two 1998 60hp mercs, apparently very low hours, and looking perfect. But steep on fuel, though.

So I traded them for a used F115a Yamaha--got $3000 trade-in, whole deal, including trade-in,fabrication of transom bracket and new steering cable, cost me $3,178   I've more than gotten that back in fuel savings over 3 years.